We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian options at Christmas season

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Vegetarian options at Christmas season

Have had a rough few months so as a treat myself and my partner are heading to Paris at Christmas and New Year and am wondering if anyone could recommend anywhere nice to go for vegetarian dinner while there?

We would really like to eat out on Christmas Day but not sure if this is an option? Will any veggie places or places with good veggie options be open?

I know veggie places come and go and my favourite veggie restaurant Piccolo Teatro has closed down so past forums may be incorrect.

We are staying in a small apartment so can't ask hotel for recommendations :-)

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarian options at Christmas season

www.happycow.com Happy Travels!

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian options at Christmas season

Although I can't offer any specifics, it's been my experience that most restaurants in Paris offer a vegetarian option plat these days. I can't imagine that you'll have any difficulty finding one rather easily.

Ireland
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian options at Christmas season

I was hoping someone might recommend any restaurants with good veggie options (and maybe even one that might be open on Christmas day)?

I used Happycow the last time I went to Paris but it isn't always up to date and a few places had closed down. The time before that I hardly ate as only veggie option was omelete as I can't eat the cheese (too hard to tell if it is vegetarian cheese).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,658 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarian options at Christmas season

I am sorry, but I don't understand. I thought that all cheese is made from animal milk. What on earth is vegetarian cheese?

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,694 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegetarian options at Christmas season

Some cheese is set with rennet which comes from the stomach of a cow (or other mammal). This involves the animal being dead. Many cheeses don't use rennet and are suitable for vegetarians. It gets tricky as many cheeses can be made with or without so some vegetarians choose to avoid all cheese unless they're sure how it was processed.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,348 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegetarian options at Christmas season

Perhaps you could locate a natural-foods store and ask the employees there for a recommendation? The cheese issue is always an issue for us, too. Usually there is no way to find out ahead of time, but my digestive tract quickly tells me whether it was veggie- friendly cheese :-(

Carry Imodium.

Ireland
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegetarian options at Christmas season

We are going to try Christmas dinner (lunch really as it's at 2pm) on Christmas Day at the Gentle Gourmet. It's a vegan B&B that also has lunch, dinner and cooking classes.

Fingers crossed it will be some good French style food and not just tofu or a stirfry.

Edited: 24 December 2010, 11:56
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegetarian options at Christmas season

Can't recommend specifics, but if you eat at a kosher dairy restaurant you can be sure that there won 't be any animal rennet used in making the cheese.

As Christmas is a Saturday, this will not be an option for lunch, but I'd bet any kosher dairy restaurant will be open within two hours after sunset Saturday night, in good time for dinner.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,348 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegetarian options at Christmas season

Dubliner20 -- sounds interesting -- please report back ! I'll be back in Paris in April. This time, I'll be carrying a list from HappyCow (though, like everywhere, veggie restaruants come and go...).

Ireland
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegetarian options at Christmas season

Just a quick post to say that the Gentle Gourmet on Christmas Day was great.

I am quite shy and did worry about sitting at a table full of strangers but everyone was made feel very welcome. We would definitely recommend eating here.

Will post proper review soon.

By the way - any folk looking to eat at Le Vegetarian at 65, rue du Faubourg Poissonnière (75009) (at /near rue Lafayette) - we arrived at 2.30 today but it was closed. No sign up but maybe it is closed for the holiday season.