We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris - Munich - Venice - HELP!

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Paris - Munich - Venice - HELP!

Hello all,

I'm planning a European trip late May/early June and have narrowed down our destinations to Paris, Munich and Venice. Based on some research this seems doable (looking at 12 - 14 day trip). I haven't purchased our airfare yet because I am trying to figure out the train situation and am completely overwhelmed. My previous trip was with my family going to Zurich and Milan and we rented a car.

So, my question is what is the best way to manage this? I've looked up the trains and the fares seem pretty steep (is 250 euros per person average price?) or should we look at flying instead? If we book round trip from Paris, what is the best way to return to Paris from Venice? If anyone has done this, I'd appreciate ANY helpful information! Thank you!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,629 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris - Munich - Venice - HELP!

The cheap tickets for Paris-Munich go on sale 90 days before travel, so cheap prices for May will not yet be being shown. There are direct trains from Paris to Munich, taking about 6 hours, and costing as little as €39 for advance purchases.

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, in English at www.tgv-europe.com/en but say you are from Great Britain. If you say you are from USA, you get another site that has much higher prices and does not list all the trains.

If you can get the cheapest tickets, known as PREMs, you can print them on your computer, and e-tickets are being introduced for some other journeys. For other tickets, say you want to collect in France. You can collect from a staffed ticket office at a station or from an SNCF boutique shop. If you have a "chip-and-PIN" card, you can also collect from a ticket machine. To collect, you must have the *exact* same card used for the booking.

To get from Munich to Venice by train would take at least 8h30 and would need at least 2 changes of train. If you fly, it will take 2 hours and could cost as little as €96. There are flights from Venice to Paris starting at €25.

For information on flights, see www.kayak.com

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris - Munich - Venice - HELP!

You might consider flying to Paris and flying home from Munich. If you take a low cost flight from Paris to Venice and travel to Munich by the most convenient/least expensive route you will certainly save time and probably save money. There are no direct flights from Venice to the US which is why I suggest Munich as one of your gateways.

Incidentally there are direct night trains on all three legs of your triangle, another possible option.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris - Munich - Venice - HELP!

"There are no direct flights from Venice to the US"

Thats not true. USAIRWAYS has a direct flight to Philadelphia from Venice.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris - Munich - Venice - HELP!

I'm also planning a trip from Paris to Munich so the train information is very helpful, thank you.

I personally think that 6 hours on a train isn't too long compared to travelling to the airport, waiting for the flight and then making your way to your hotel in the new city.

Apart from cost it also comes down to how many hours you spend travelling, and with a flight that doesn't mean just the hours flying.

5. Re: Paris - Munich - Venice - HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 November 2015, 22:16
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
771 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris - Munich - Venice - HELP!

IrishRovr's suggestion is a good one, especially considering your short travel time. Try to get an open-jaw airfare and fly into either Paris or Munich and out of the other, with Venice in the middle. It may save you a day back-tracking.

Agree with Diz that a train journey can provide you with spectacular scenery, but you need to weigh up the time and cost factors of comparing the two travel methods and see which one suits you best.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris - Munich - Venice - HELP!

I think. flight will not be much suitable consider the airports being in outer areas.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris - Munich - Venice - HELP!

>>>USAIRWAYS has a direct flight<<<

I overlooked that one. Thanks for the correction, pontevecchio.

There are low-cost flights to VCE from Orly with EasyJet. Munich is not well served by direct flights to ORY, CDG or VCE with budget airlines but you could try Air Berlin and GermanWings

Edited: 27 November 2010, 16:47
Washington state
Level Contributor
681 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris - Munich - Venice - HELP!

I will 3rd the idea of getting an open jaws ticket, arriving Paris, departing Munich (or vice versa). We did this from Seattle, I think it was 4 years ago, and what seemed incredible--was that doing the flight back to the US from Munich was cheaper than if we had flown round trip to Paris. And this despite the fact that our flight home from Munich was via CDG. In other words, having an additional leg to flight, which was way more convenient for us, cut the cost of the total fare by $100 or so!

Not thinking you'll be this lucky with the way fares are looking now, but it just suggests the benefits to think broadly about how best to plan your trip. good luck.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris - Munich - Venice - HELP!

My only comment about itinerary is to suggest that you fly into Venice and out of somewhere else. Venice is just about the worst place to have to drag your luggage through the dark to (you hope) the correct landing stage in order to get to the airport for the outrageously early departure times to North America.