We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hard Cider

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hard Cider

I've done some searching and reading. There are many mentions of cider here on the Paris board. Having pretty much given up beer since I'm sensitive to the gluten, hard cider has become my refreshment of choice.

Is cider common enough to ask for in places where I might have previously ordered a bier? When inquiring, is it called "cider" in french? Are there hard and non-alcoholic versions, or do I need to specify that I'm looking for to get tipsy?

I appreciate your guidance on this issue.

chuck

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
344 reviews
from US$60.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,257 reviews
from US$105.79*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
535 reviews
from US$43.78*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
666 reviews
from US$108.23*
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hard Cider

Honestly I don't recall seeing cider ("cidre") on the menus at the places I've eaten at in Paris. A few old posts here mention that creperies offered cidre. I believe it will contain alcohol.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
374 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hard Cider

French cider is yummy and fizzy. Here's an explanation borrowed from Bonjour Paris:

Cider in Normandy is not the sweet stuff sold in gallon jugs at your local supermarket in the fall. French cider is "hard"—that is, lightly alcoholic. It comes in two versions: brut (dry) and doux (smooth or gentle, meaning somewhat sweeter). Both are naturally effervescent and so must be stored upright, not supine like wine. But French cider is as variable in flavor as French wine. Its bouquet depends on the mix of apples used, the weather during the growing season, fermenting and bottling conditions, and the judgment of the cider maker.

I've always found it at Crepe places -- one that I saw recommended online was : Crepes and cider

Stand in line and have a crepe and cider from Paris' famous La Crêperie de Josselin (67 Rue Montparnasse, Metro: Montparnasse). Marie-Therese has been making what many call the city's best Brittany pancakes for more than 40 years, and still mixes up the buckwheat batter each morning by hand. Have a "la complète" (ham, cheese and egg), and don't miss the bestseller, salty caramel, for dessert, with a boule of vanilla ice cream.

Read more: star-telegram.com/2010/…ixzz16hPC1KjY

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hard Cider

I dont know what "hard" cider is but many bars sell cider, it is called cidre (see-dre). It is a Normandy and Breton speciality and most restaurants from these areas will have it.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hard Cider

Thanks for the feedback and the pronunciation help. In North America we refer to the fermented version as "hard cider" and the non-alcoholic, unfiltered juice as simply "cider".

Cheers,

chuck.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hard Cider

Cidre is widely available in crêperies as has been stated and some cafés may have it available if you ask. It´s alcohol content is usually around 5%. I assume non alcohol versions are available but I have not seen them.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hard Cider

As has been said, "cidre' is always hard cider. Here are some prices in 5 Paris bars: lesamisdelapero.fr/paris/bars/tarifs/cidre

It is easy enough to find in most bars, cafés and restaurants, not just crêperies.

You can also get it in the alcohol aisle of supermarkets and convenience stores, usually near the beer. It's around 2 € a bottle.

Edited: 29 November 2010, 19:33
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hard Cider

Cider is available all over the place. Any place with an association with Brittany or Normandy will have it, but most ordinary cafés will have it as well.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hard Cider

Your kind and informative responses are greatly appreciated.

Merci aussi.

Washington state
Level Contributor
683 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hard Cider

Every creperie we ate at in Bretagne already had the small earthen mugs used for drinking cidre on the table when we walked into the place, the same way you see wine glasses at tables when you sit down at other restaurants. And it really does go beautifully with the crepes and galettes!

Edited: 30 November 2010, 01:38
Shelton, Washington
Level Contributor
467 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hard Cider

greetings from another 'cidre' imbiber. Our favorite cafe in the 13th served cidre in two potencies: doux or sweet which ran about 2.5 percent alcohol and brut/drier which ran about 5 percent alcohol. It came in bottles-served cold and was 4 euro per. Good stuff.