We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Louis Vuitton

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
maryland
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Louis Vuitton

So excited to be going to Paris for the 1st time! Would love to get a LV purse ! Whats the difference between buying it here, in the states, or there? Are the prices better, do they have totally different bags there??? Thanks for any answers!!

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Louis Vuitton

You'll have to do some calculating to compare prices. I don't remember what the VAT discount is in France on leather goods, but I'm sure someone else will fill in the gap. Go to the LV web site to see the current styles. There is no difference from one LV store in Paris to another, so go to one that is convenient to your accommodation. Sometimes the Champs Elysees store resembles Loehmanns Basement, and you can find yourself trampled into the dust.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Louis Vuitton

The prices are better, the choice is better, and you get part of the VAT (French tax) back ... the LV shop fills out the form. France is the best location to purchase LV.

Check the forum for there is much discussion about LV and purchases in Paris.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Louis Vuitton

last time i was in paris (2 months ago), they limit 1 bag per person. and yes certainly buying in Paris is the cheapest. happy shopping!!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Louis Vuitton

With the euro dropping, you might find a bargain. The main Vuitton store is closing an hour earlier than it used to in order not to run out of merchandise, though.

maryland
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Louis Vuitton

Thank you so much! Will be there the 1st week of May. Is that for certain that they only allow 1 bag per person? I wanted to bring back 2, 1 for my daughter!

Huntingdon Valley...
Level Contributor
149 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Louis Vuitton

We went to the store on the Champs Elysees in Sept. There was a long line of about 75 people waiting to get in. It looked like an amusement park line. Spouse refused to wait. Just an FYI.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Louis Vuitton

I work just up the street -- the line comes and goes depending on the season, but actually it moves quite fast

As for buying more than one bag, there are several Louis Vuitton shops in Paris, including one on Avenue Montaigne, not far from the one on the Champs Elysées.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Louis Vuitton

If there is a limit to the LV bags you can purchase, perhaps your husband and/or friend can bring one back for you. We did much shopping at LV in August and were not limited to the number of purchases that I recall. Purchased two LV items on one day at the store in St. Germain des Pres with no problem. Was given a lovely orange juice drink while the sales person filled out the VAT form for returned funds and the two items were beautifully wrapped.

Edited: 30 November 2010, 23:29
Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,295 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Louis Vuitton

VAT refund is 12%.

The St-Germain store is less crowded than the Champs Elysées. If by any chance they do not have the item you are looking for they will gladly have it put aside at another store. The clerk at the main store on the Champs (I was there on a Sunday) called us on Monday AM to confirm my item was put aside at the Galeries Lafayette, I just had to ask for it. And that was true.

I suggest you go on the LV's website (us site), make your choices and write down the price in USD in the USA. Then go back on the site but select either the French one or the International one. You'll see the prices in Euros. Convert the prices in USD at today's rate and you'll know if you're making a good deal (and don't forget to ask for the "détaxe".

maryland
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Louis Vuitton

So, then I would get another 12% back? How exactly does that work? Thanks for all the info!!