We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Paris

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Topic
Weather in Paris

Hi,

Just wondering how

Personally, I've been staying in the tropical region for the last 30yrs and the coldest place that I had been to is about 10 degree celsius. This would be my 1st trip to Europe in winter, I'll be traveling to Prague, London and Paris. From the local paper I read, the snowing condition is the worst ever in the last 25 years, and could possibly get worse to minus 20 degrees celsius or so.... just wondering if there should pose any problem for traveling etc.

Would it be necessary to have ice grips for footwear? I'm intending to wear track shoes, not sure if its advisable.

Thanks for all your advice.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1,851 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Weather in Paris

Usually context helps. For example, if a poster says it is in the 30s and really cold with heavy clothes needed, I assume fahrenheit rather than centigrade for Paris in the winter. But I automatically put C or F after a temperature number when writing and say centigrade or fahrenheit when speaking. That avoids the confusion that has sometimes ensued with friends from other countries who incorrectly assumed I was using F degrees instead of C because I am an American.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Weather in Paris

My earlier post was very much "tongue in cheek".

However I did think it was worth pôinting out to Americans that centigrade is used throughout Europe. Where you see temperatures displayed on buildings etc, they will be in centigrade.

Why do Americans persist in sticking to fahrenheit?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,546 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Weather in Paris

"Why do Americans persist in sticking to fahrenheit"

Why do Europeans use Centigrade?

I talk to chemical engineers all the time in America and they only talk in Fahrenheit. All the scientific insutruments herer at the lab are in Centigrade. I have to switch back and forth in my head when I talk to them. And when I think about thwe weather outside, I think in Fahrenhiet and have to convert

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,546 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Weather in Paris

I was in Paris last week. It was damp, overcast, and cold. I felt fortunate I had a flannel-lined coat, a cardigan, a winter hat, and gloves. The St Michel Fountain froze solid after the first 2 days we were in Paris.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Weather in Paris

>>>Why do Americans persist in sticking to fahrenheit?<<<

1) Because we are 'Murrican and you're not!

2) Because we like furriners to know that EVERYTHING is bigger (and therefore better...) in 'Murrica and 100° is obviously much bigger than 38° or whatever so when it's hot here it's a whole lot hotter than it is just about anywhere else! (Negative numbers don't count. Nobody understands those anyway.)

And we still use ounces and pounds and pints and gallons and inches and feet and yards and miles too — though I doubt many of us know what a perch, pole or rod is or even a furlong for that matter, nor how many square whatsits there are in an acre... ;-)

Edited: 06 December 2010, 21:38
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1,851 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Weather in Paris

LOL, IrishRovr. Do you remember the huge outcry decades ago from concerned Americans when the U.S. tried to go metric? Some representatives in the Arizona state legislature, which remains infamous for other reasons today, wanted to bomb the new kilometer distance signs between Tucson and the border with Mexico. These signs were called "UnAmerican."

charlotte
Level Contributor
418 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Weather in Paris

Well, I certainly didn't mean to open up the proverbial can of worms by using fahrenheit. I use fahrenheit because I am from the U.S. and fahrenheit is what I am used to. Just like when those from other countries use centrigrade because that is what they are used to. What is the big fricking deal? I don't get upset when I read posts using centrigrade. I just figure out the corresponding temp in fahrenheit and that's that. It does seem that the majority of posters asking questions about the weather are from the U.S., so what's wrong with providing them with information in the format they are used to?

By the way, I had a great trip to Paris, no matter what the temperature was.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1,851 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Weather in Paris

And you gave great information in your post re what clothes to bring for the winter weather, caroblue. Much appreciated for my upcoming trip.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,366 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Weather in Paris

Irishrover , priceless, love a sense of humor

since I'm 'Murrican" I too only thing in Farenhite, lol

really ........ zappa like it was said boots, layers, wool coat, head covering and gloves, I'm NO FAN of the cold but I made it thru a winter visit to Paris (well nov) Prague and Berlin.

also have u seen these warming packets? i have not used them but heard of them, u can put them in your boots and gloves, crack them, they heat for awhile? i'll be looking into it, will let uknow what i've find,

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Weather in Paris

Also it costs a blooming fortune to do the switch over.

We Canuckleheads switched over to metric when my then favourite Prime Minister, Pierre Trudeau introduced the metric system in the mid1970's. I believe it was in the mid 80's when we switched over entirely. He had great foresight.

Edited: 07 December 2010, 03:53