We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from the UK on Boxing Day

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Peterborough, UK
Level Contributor
377 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Flying from the UK on Boxing Day

With BA from T5.

I'm wondering if I will still be able to get to Paris if there is more snow.

Do you think they might cover the cost of me going by Eurostar instead if the flights are cancelled?

Essex
Level Contributor
27,465 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying from the UK on Boxing Day

Have a look at the T's & C's of your ticket purchase, and also of your travel insurance. The answer you seek will be in there somewhere.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying from the UK on Boxing Day

Last year when the ash crisis was on I booked a eurostar ticket as an insurance policy. It was VERY important that I get to Paris on that day.

In the event, flights were running, but mine was cancelled due to them bringing people back home.

They offered me a refund or another flight. (I think this is the rule for cancelled flights).I took the refund which went some way towards covering the eurostar ticket. But if the flight had not been cancelled I would have lost my money either of the flight or the eurostar ticket.

Only you can decide if the cost of a eurostar ticket is worth the risk.

The other risk is that eurostar is disrupted. At the moment they are running a limited service. But there is a slight thaw forecast for boxing day.

Denise

love from Bolton.

Peterborough, UK
Level Contributor
377 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying from the UK on Boxing Day

Thanks for your advice. The UK Foreign Office have changed their travel advice to Paris now and there is a ban on lorries and coaches using roads from Calais so I guess the flights will be very busy too.

Peterborough, UK
Level Contributor
377 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying from the UK on Boxing Day

The UK Foreign Office travel advice for France:

Heavy snowfall and extremely cold temperatures are causing disruption to travel in France. The French authorities have informed us that they are preventing all HGVs and coaches from using the roads in northern France and the greater Paris area, and that car travel is unadvisable in the area. Air and rail services are also affected and you should contact your travel operator or airline before starting your journey. Coaches arriving in Calais are currently being held on arrival until French road restrictions are lifted. Travellers should check what arrangements their travel operators are making for passengers being stopped in Calais, before they travel. Foot passengers should be aware that onward travel from Calais is difficult and accommodation in the Calais area is likely to be fully booked. Passengers may wish to consider making alternative travel arrangements whilst French road restrictions are in placeInformation about roads (in French) can be found at the following link. …gouv.fr/diri/Accueil.do. Information about flights can be found at: Euro Control (twitter channel). Information on intercity and international rail travel can be obtained from Infolignes and Rail Europe.

I hear that the Paris airports are struggling too. All flights to Paris from Heathrow today have been cancelled and it doesn't seem like they know when things will be back to normal!

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying from the UK on Boxing Day

My brother, who lives in London, recently bought a property in France near the Swiss border, where they were planning to spend Christmas (driving).

They are now thinking they will probably be in London!

Peterborough, UK
Level Contributor
377 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying from the UK on Boxing Day

I know its complete chaos. They are offering refunds up to Christmas Eve now.

I am wondering if I should ring them to ask if they will cover my Eurostar cost instead as there is not much information on their website.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,465 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying from the UK on Boxing Day

No harm in asking!!

Cheers!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying from the UK on Boxing Day

But dont hold your breath, Euirostar is completely stuffed now and no bookings taken until Christmas so I would think Boxing Day will be overbooked and there is every chance the problems there will be continuing. If you get a booking you can get a refund or exchange up to 60 days after, we are having to do that as they cant take us today despite booking three months ahead...

Peterborough, UK
Level Contributor
377 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying from the UK on Boxing Day

I checked last night and there are still tickets available for Eurostar on Boxing Day.

I could fly from East Midlands, Stansted, Luton or Gatwick instead, but I don't know if they will transfer me at this stage or want to wait.

I might call my travel insurance company too, but I suspect they will say its up to the airline.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying from the UK on Boxing Day

Just pray that there isn't more snow or that the weather warms up. I live in London and was supposed to fly San Francisco last Saturday but my flight got cancelled therefore I am stuck in London until after boxing day. Since the purpose of my trip was to go home for Christmas, the airline refunded me since I can't leave London before Christmas. Call them and explain to them, there is always a way around these things.