We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

has anyone noticed a dramatic difference in airfare?

nashville, tn
Level Contributor
117 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
has anyone noticed a dramatic difference in airfare?

Casually perusing websites for a distant Paris vacation (Sept 2011), I noticed that there is quite a difference in pricing that did not seem to exist before. Looking at Expedi /hotwire/ orbitz/ pricline etc there is as much as a $500 difference. Seems as though in the past all the common websites were within $100 or so of one another. Good news is that there is a fare for $744 rt from Nashville inclusive. Have not seen a fare that good in a while.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: has anyone noticed a dramatic difference in airfare?

$744 is definitely a favorable fare, especially for September. Here's hoping you can actually book that next time you look, and it's not plus taxes/fees. Orbitz, for one, is notorious for not actually being able to book offered.

But, everythihg turns on where and when you're shopping.

In my experience, the very best fares are available in Jan-Mar for September.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: has anyone noticed a dramatic difference in airfare?

You should also delete all your cookies from those websites before you search again. If the fares have dropped since your last search, those cookies may keep them from showing up in your new search.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,164 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: has anyone noticed a dramatic difference in airfare?

If you actually find an all-in round-trip fare in September for $744 you had best BUY IT now. I guarantee you that is an excellent fare for Paris for early fall.

Examine to see what is the 'catch' - - extra connections? extremely long connection time? etc.

Edited: 22 December 2010, 20:59
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,548 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: has anyone noticed a dramatic difference in airfare?

travelnutty is correct, I should buy at that price without hesitation as long as it is indeed the complete price.

nashville, tn
Level Contributor
117 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: has anyone noticed a dramatic difference in airfare?

I did indeed buy the ticket(s) at $744 inclusive for sept 2011 travel,, the next day (today) the rate is $1077, I wonder if it had something to do with AA pulling their fares from Orbitz? Decent flight through JFK, no unusual long layovers.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,164 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: has anyone noticed a dramatic difference in airfare?

Congrats! I haven't paid that little for several years. We aren't in a hub city, so our fares for early fall are usually well over $800. I just paid $962 for April to Amsterdam and feel lucky, as that route/time is now $1062. May have paid a small 'premium' to fly on a plane with the seat arrangement we prefer, and specific dates, but worth it to me.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
768 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: has anyone noticed a dramatic difference in airfare?

Hey fellow Nashvillian- where did you find that fare?

nashville, tn
Level Contributor
117 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: has anyone noticed a dramatic difference in airfare?

Mrs. Popeye-

Priceline was the source, flying American Airlines. Like I said the price is $1077 now. There is still a $870 price on Airfare.com for a similar flight, seems to be inclusive. Hope this helps!

9. Re: has anyone noticed a dramatic difference in airfare?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2011, 05:56