We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 hour layover at CDG... Taxi to Eiffel?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
5 hour layover at CDG... Taxi to Eiffel?

I've seen a few threads that say a 5 hr layover is not enough time to do anything in France. However, barring delays or any other things that could slow down our brief time in France: will having a private tour guide meeting us at the airport and taking us to the Eiffel tower just for pictures and a croissant and then back to the airport make this do-able? I'm connecting to Egypt from CDG. We will be traveling with just a back pack each and are nimble and well- seasoned travelers. Our layover if from 830 am to 130 pm.

Please advise.

And if you do know a reputable tour/ taxi company that can do this, please include that info. Thanks

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,169 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 hour layover at CDG... Taxi to Eiffel?

NO.

This has been discussed time and time again, and you can't do it. It will take an hour to clear customs and immigration, an hour into the city, an hour back to the airport (without getting out of the car or leaving the train station, by the way), and you have to be there 2 hours ahead, as you now have to go back through all the security parade. That's 5 hours, and that's if you arrive on time, have no line at customs, no traffic into the city (fat chance at that hour) and you're at somewhere between a jog and a dead sprint.

If you decide to throw caution and the advice of many travelers who have flown through CDG many, many times, be aware that if you leave the airport of your own volition, the airport has NO responsibility at all for accommodating you or honoring your existing ticket...and last-minute one-way fares to Egypt are expensive. Because you missed the ongoing part of your ticket, it's not unheard of for the airlines to cancel ALL of the rest of your ticket (return flight) leaving you with a very, VERY expensive photo of the tower.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 hour layover at CDG... Taxi to Eiffel?

Why would re-posting the question as a separate topic change the answer?

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 hour layover at CDG... Taxi to Eiffel?

I ditto Sunshine and Irish. As well, an estimate of an hour to clear customs at CDG is often a figment of somebody's imagination. This is important: double check with your airline next week - after the church bombing in Cairo this weekend, there may be a tightening of security measures at the airport.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 hour layover at CDG... Taxi to Eiffel?

UPDATE: Enjoyed the 5 hour layover in Paris. Was able to speed walk to the RER and get tickets to down town Paris. Instead of chancing it and transferring trains to the Eiffel tower, visited the Notre Dame for 30 mins. Caught the express train back to CDG (took about 25 mins) and even with a 20 minute delay at the CDG station (because someone left unattended luggage there and caused a scare) made it to the gate with 45 mins to spare! Lucky- perhaps, but knowing exactly where to buy RER tickets and where to get off, etc, from reading trip advisor made it possible. Also, we only had one small back pack each. The memory is price less. Glad to have had the experience!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,169 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 hour layover at CDG... Taxi to Eiffel?

You will never appreciate how very, very lucky you were.

I'm glad it worked for you, but we who regularly contribute try not to ever suggest such a thing because it is so very, very easy to have just a single thing go wrong and end up buying last-minute one-way fares.

I *live* here and wouldn't dream of trying it.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 hour layover at CDG... Taxi to Eiffel?

Made it to the gate with 45 minutes to spare? Lucky-perhaps? What if you had missed your departure by 5 minutes? Not lucky-perhaps.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 hour layover at CDG... Taxi to Eiffel?

Everything in your post indicates why this was a REALLY bad idea

Luck is rarely a good strategy when expensive flights and vacation schedules are at risk.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 hour layover at CDG... Taxi to Eiffel?

It's always possible as the earlier poster mentioned. But that is really an exception. It is tempting to get out an see the city, have a croissant, and take photos then head back to CDG. But everything will have to be in your favour. The other posters already mentioned what the consequences would be should you happen to be delayed by minutes. In other words, it isn't worthwhile and it would be better to plan a real visit to Paris.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 hour layover at CDG... Taxi to Eiffel?

What about this situation?

Arriving Orly from Barcelona at 1130a and departing CDG at 4:30pm. Obviously enough time to transfer, but what about a quick photo op along the way. Eiffel perhaps?

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 hour layover at CDG... Taxi to Eiffel?

I am happy that someone was willing to take a risk and catch a glimpse of Paris, despite all the advise not to do so. I would never recommend it to anyone, but would do it myself -- as have done similar things several times.

And I am even happier that you made it back from Egypt safe. Can't wait to be there again.