We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problems using Paypal for Paris bookings

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Problems using Paypal for Paris bookings

Hello All...First time ever using PayPal and can't say its been a great online experience. Despite having perfect credit, both my cards have been denied using email payment service with returned message "The card you entered can not be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit card / debit card.".

If location matters, they're Canadian cards. I've called both Mastercard and Visa and they've both told me problem lies with merchant though I find it hard to believe he accepts neither of these major cards.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems and can shed some light? Thanks.

Dehuan

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problems using Paypal for Paris bookings

Don't know about Canadian card issuers, but with my USA cards, it's almost always necessary to alert the card issuer ahead of any international transations.

Recommend phoning again, but using the "if lost or stolen" number which will get you to the fraud department. Regular customer service reps do not have access to all details and will advise you something like "it should have gone through". Rather, you have to have fraud protection removed (temporarily) in order for the transaction to go through.

Assuming MC and Visa are acceptable forms of payment with the vendor, when a transaction cannot be processed, the problem is with the card.

I haven't experienced any problems since I learned to phone first. But, prior to that, a hotel prepayment was rejected, online tickets, etc.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Problems using Paypal for Paris bookings

Yes, I had similar problems - PayPal is a pain in the neck. I have 2 cards (both European) which I can use for online transactions on other sites, but if I try PayPal I get exactly the same message. I contacted PayPal and provided them what they asked for, but it still doesn't work. If they don't mind loosing business, let them be like that -- there are other ways.

What do you want to book? Is PayPal the only option?

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,322 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Problems using Paypal for Paris bookings

Can't you pay with either Visa or Master Card instead of PayPal. I am buying on a regular basis on French sites, go to France at least 3 times a year and always book either my hotel rooms or apartments with either Master Card Gold or Master Card pLatinum, both issued by a Canadian bank . Never had a problem.

Maybe some Canadian banks prefer you to tell them in advance if you have to make a transaction online through a site in a different country. Why don't you give them a call.

What time (local in France) did you make the transaction? I remember a blocked transaction on an Italian site because it was not during local working hours (silly but I had to retry a few hours later and it worked perfectly)

4. Re: Problems using Paypal for Paris bookings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2011, 08:20