We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

My mother will be in Paris alone for a week in April. She is 63 years old and I don't want her to be bored. Any tour or cruise suggestions for a single woman of her age?

She is a little nervous about travelling alone because I sent her to Istanbul two-years ago and she had a very bad time.

I was thinking a river cruise, a wine tour or some type of tour that would even allow her to meet someone!

Also, since I may be paying I am kinda on a budget.

Please help! Thanks.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, Day Trips
los angeles
Level Contributor
9,307 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

How many nights will she be there and what area is she staying in? Does she enjoy walking? What are her interests as far as Paris--art, food, museums, shopping, etc? What are her "hours," as in morning person, night owl, etc?

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

After Istanbul it will be a hassle free experience for sure - that was a bold decision to send her there alone.

Maybe she could start with a tour by L’OpenTour - they have 4 interconnecting routes on a hop-on-hop-off bus and also organize river excursions. Their website is : http://www.parislopentour.com/

Once she knows the city a bit, she will be more confident to discover Paris alone. There are also a number of walking tours where she could meet other travelers.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,808 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

She could do one of the Paris Walks...

http://www.paris-walks.com/

Approximately two hours of easy walking on a guided tour of one of several areas of Paris - the Marais, Latin Quarter, "Hemingway's Paris,." etc.

12 euros per walk.

Pjk

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,053 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

<<After Istanbul it will be a hassle free experience for sure - that was a bold decision to send her there alone. >>

LOL!!! As much as I love Istanbul, I have to agree :)

phivestarz, do you think your mom would enjoy a tour of the Loire Valley? Castles & wine? I think you could book an overnight tour - she may enjoy being with a group for part of the trip, so she could meet other travellers.

EDIT: Just as an example, here are a couple that mcal3K mentioned recently in another discussion:

http://www.tourtheloire.com/tour1.html or http://www.frenchmystiquetours.com/about_us

I'm also wondering about her interests. Maybe she would like to join a cooking class for a day? Shopping is great, tons of museums (any particular art preferences?)...

Edited: 06 January 2011, 18:31
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

Thank you all for the suggestions, but I think I should be a little more clear on the trip plans.

The first two weeks we (my husband and I) will be with her in Paris. She will be on her own exactly eight (8) days (19-27 of April). My in-laws have an apt. in the 14th arron. so she will be staying there unless she takes a side trip.

Paris she knows well and she has been to some surrounding areas in the past.

She has never been to the wine region, so that is a great idea! I was also thinking cruise (river or medit.). She does enjoy company and likes to shop, walk and sightsee, so maybe a tour would be the best choice.

She is fluent in Spanish and English, some French and a little Italian.

The Paris Walks looks great, I will suggest that! Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

For a solo 63yo woman who is nervous about traveling alone, I would definitely go with a tour. IME, she will likely be surrounded by others in her age range and will probably find a few other solo women to pal around with.

They have short 3-4 day tours thru the wine country, or touring the chateaux of the Loire Valley, or the D-Day beaches, or whatever particular interest she has. I did one of those years ago through the Loire Valley, and enjoyed it, even though most of the people on the tour could have been my grandparents. They were fun, and one 60something guy who was traveling without his wife was determined to set me up with his grandson. :) Now I travel independently, but tours are great for someone who is afraid of going solo, and they take the worry out of the transport and logistics.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,053 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

If she will already have been in paris for 2 weeks, and then has an additional 8 days on her own, I think you should book her a 5-7 day tour of France.

That way she has a city break with you, and then will get to see wine country, castles, and whatever else with good company :)

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

Has she gone on the tour of the apartment above Maxim's restaurant in Paris? That apartment is owned by Pierre Cardin and is absolutely gorgeous. The tour is given once a day in English and otherwise is given in French. I highly recommend it.

By the way, Pierre Cardin has a fabulous musee in the north of Paris.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

I am 75 years old. I have been going to Paris since 1974, both alone, with girl friends and husband. Mostly alone. Sometimes when I was still working it was once a year, since I retired at age 62, it has been twice a year, usually three times a year. I like my own company and I wander. I get on the metro to go to a particular area of town, there is usually some kind of museum there and after the museum wander, eat, people watch, take pics, sit in a park, etc. There is never anything lacking in my experiences. If there is time a day tour or a couple day tour might be good. See what Paris Vision or city rama has available. There are also private other companies. My husband likes Rick Steves tours, but they are too strenuous for me at this age. He still hangs in there at 79.

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

If she hasn't read the Josephine trilogy, I recommend reading it and then visiting Chateau Malmaison. It is easy to get there and it is so wonderful to see it once a person has fallen in love with Josephine.