We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

My mother will be in Paris alone for a week in April. She is 63 years old and I don't want her to be bored. Any tour or cruise suggestions for a single woman of her age?

She is a little nervous about travelling alone because I sent her to Istanbul two-years ago and she had a very bad time.

I was thinking a river cruise, a wine tour or some type of tour that would even allow her to meet someone!

Also, since I may be paying I am kinda on a budget.

Please help! Thanks.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

Has she been to Giverny? It would be a good time to see Monets gardens as it will be Spring. Thier website gives you an idea. I booked with Greyline(i think) and it was a full day from Paris. Cheaper to book from home.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

Hi there. In 2009, I went to Paris with my mother then aged 71. Mum likes day tours so I agreed to go on a few with her and I must say they were really enjoyable. We booked with Paris Vision. One tour was to Giverny - Monet's Gardens and this also included a beautiful lunch including wine at a beautiful inn. Under the trees, linen cloths followed by Versailles in the afternoon - this tour especially good as it has limited numbers so you really do meet people especially at lunch time and can talk and relax. We also went to the Mumm and Moet Champagne houses and to Reims Cathedral and the other was a day trip to Brugges - a long day but a great day. I hope this is of some help.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: 63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

Surely your mother is still young enough to plan her vacation alone on her own? especially because she knows Paris and can speak some French! buy her a couple of guidebooks and let her decide what she wants to do.

When I lived in Toronto my mom used to come for a whole month each year.

I couldn't have holidays in the summer so she was on her own during the week. After working all year long with tons of people she loved being alone and had a great time exploring the town at random.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

Yes. I agree with the last poster.

You may just be a concerned son/ daughter tring to help your mum, but Ifound your use of words rather strange when you said you "sent" your mum to Istsnbul and you " don't want her to get bored "

your mum sounds a great woman with lots of life skills. Perfectly capeable of looking after herself.

I am your mums age. Travel alone frequently, and would be offended if my child talked about me as though I was some old lady who needed looking after.

Denise

love from England

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

Yes, I am agreeing here with "grndma". I'm years older than your mother, who is, after all, not even at the general retirement age. I'm sure you are concerned, but to talk about "sending" a sentient being sounds rather condescending. So ask her what she'd like to do, help her get a guidebook. If she WANTS a tour, help her find one. Does she want to stay in Paris? Does she WANT to travel to other parts?

Even we old people can still figure some things out. ;-)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

Yeah, I'm sure the OP never even thought of asking her mother what she wanted to do. What a great suggestion. :rolleyes:

The OP said her mother was nervous about traveling alone, and she had a bad time on a trip to Istanbul. Not everybody is that adventurous about solo travel, whatever the age.

My mom is 63 and would not go anywhere solo, unless it was within 30 min. of her house. So I understand the OP's question, and I don't find anything strange about asking for suggestions to help make mom's trip a better one for her. She sounds like a great daughter to treat her mom like this, and it doesn't mean she thinks her mom is feeble, sheesh.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
511 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: 63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

Here's the question, magnolia ... does your mom not travel alone because she is 63 or does she not travel alone because she has never traveled alone, is timid, doesn't like new things, a whole bunch of reasons totally unrelated to age? The point is that age is not a factor here and mentioning it IS condescending. This may not matter much to you since you are obviously still young but believe me someday it will (and sooner that you think!!).

Edited: 07 January 2011, 16:41
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

Mentioning someone's age is not condescending. That's just ridiculous.

It only makes sense to mention age whenever asking for a recommendation on travel. A 60yo likely would not have the same interests as a 25yo, and they might want to travel with people their own age if they did a tour.

You can bet that if the OP had just said "my mom" without mentioning age, a bunch of people would have chimed in with "how old is she?" A 63yo might have different needs than an 83yo. Or might not, it depends.

Nowhere does the OP say that she thinks her mother is too old and feeble to travel alone. Just the opposite. Her point is that her mother was "nervous" about traveling alone, and that could be true for a 30yo as much as a 60yo. She wants her mother to have a good time. That doesn't make her a bad daughter. I don't get why anyone would jump on her for trying to help her mother out.

And the "ask your mother what she wants to do" suggestion is downright insulting to the OP. As if she had many discussions with her mother about the trip, but the whole time it never occurred to her to ask what her mother wants to do. Wow, who would have thought of that? :rolleyes:

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: 63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

People--just answer the poster's question without psychoanalyzing her or her mother. If you don't want to answer it, move on to the next post!

minneapolis
Level Contributor
511 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: 63 year old woman traveling alone, any tour suggestions?

Magnolia - I agree with you that mentioning a person's age when asking about a tour or some other activity makes sense because there's a reason for mentioning the age but your statement that "My mom is 63 and would not go anywhere solo, unless it was within 30 min. of her house." has nothing to do with a tour. I'm sure that you didn't mean that the reason your mom doesn't go anywhere alone is her age and I'm sure that the only reason that you mentioned her age is because she is the same age as the poster's mother but can't you see that it would be annoying to be a vital, energetic, adventurous woman in your 60's or 70's and hear someone talk about "sending" their relatively young mom on a trip. It sure sounds condescending.