We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comparing budget hotels in the Latin Quarter

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,401 posts
Save Topic
Comparing budget hotels in the Latin Quarter

My husband and I are planning a five day trip to Paris in mid February. We've both been before, but not since 2003. I'm trying to pick a hotel - we're looking for a two star, double bed, ensuite, convenient to the Metro, for under 110 Euro a night. We're both used to small rooms and no frills, and we're from NYC, so comfortable with the Metro. I've been focusing on the Latin Quarter because it seems to offer what we're looking for.

I'm trying to decide between Hotel du College de France, Familia Hotel, and Hotel Marignan. HDCDF and Marignan seem to be practically on top of each other, but the rates are significantly different. Famiia is priced closer to HDCDF, but it's hard to tell whether one has a better location than the other.

Can anyone give me some insight into the differences? It's hard to tell from pictures on the website. Also, are there other places I should be looking at in the area? Thanks.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comparing budget hotels in the Latin Quarter

Check the reviews on this and other sites. If this site's reviews are to be relied on one of the three beats the other two by a mile. It also happens to be in what most people here, but not all, would tell you is a better location.

if the prices are comparable there doesn't seem to be much of a contest here.

liverpool ny
Level Contributor
236 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comparing budget hotels in the Latin Quarter

I have stayed at both the Marignan and the Familia.I liked them both but they are very different. First,the star system is different in France -I dont recall details but that maybe more than the quality of the hotle, a hotel is given stars based on,maybe the size of the lobby or something like that. I'm sure that someone on TA can fill you in better than I can.

I love the Marignan because it has a great location, it is clean and it is CHEAP!!!! However, they are very very basic. There is no elevator and I think there are 6 floors. I would say it is a two minute walk to the metro. There is no tv in the room.

The Familia is more expensive because it has more charm. The rooms are pretty not just utilitarian. There is an elevator. It is also maybe a 2 minute walk to the metro. The rooms and bathrooms are tiny.

If location is your primary concern, they both have super locations. (By the way, I love the Latin Quarter and would never stay anywhere else.) I think you just need to decide if you want the basics or the charm.Did you look at photos of the rooms on the hotel websites? That should help a lot. But as far as location goes, these two are only a short walk apart so don't let that sway you! Both locations are close to the metro, bakeries, cafes... really, just think about barebones(but really clean and cheap) versus the charm(oh and also clean and cheaper than alot of other hotels in Paris)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,401 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Comparing budget hotels in the Latin Quarter

Thank you both. I'm leaning towards HDCDF at the moment, after looking at the travellers' photos and rereading the reviews. Any suggestions for a boulangerie in the neighborhood if we don't eat breakfast at the hotel?

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,647 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comparing budget hotels in the Latin Quarter

Familia might have breakfast included, and there is an Eric Kayser bakery nearby on rue Monge.

HDCDF is just a few blocks from Familia.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comparing budget hotels in the Latin Quarter

There are more cafés than you could possibly imagine within a few minutes walk of any of these hotels if you don't want to eat in the hotel. You will save a lot of money by doing as the locals do and drinking your coffee and eating your tartine or croissant or whatever at the counter.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,401 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Comparing budget hotels in the Latin Quarter

Thank you very much - we will.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,647 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Comparing budget hotels in the Latin Quarter

Even if you don't mind standing while you eat, do check if Familia doesn't include breakfasts (it usually does) and that would still save you at least 10 euros a day (probably more).

Cambria, California
Level Contributor
124 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Comparing budget hotels in the Latin Quarter

Go tto the web site, www.vpike.com.

Put in the address of the hotels with zip code, then Paris, France.

You can scroll with the arrows and look at the streets the hotels are on.

HDCDF would be my first choice! The hotel is clean and the front desk

is extremely helpful.

Have fun!

Marc

Los Angeles

Ashland, Kentucky
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Comparing budget hotels in the Latin Quarter

If you can't really figure the location out, you should check it on google map. It's really easier to see where the hotels are.

You can check the hotel Home Latin, in the Latin Quarter. It has interesting prices, it's a 2 star. http://www.hotelhomelatinparis.com/ . The hotel du Globe is nice as well, near to the Luxembourg Garden, and moderatly priced. http://www.hotelduglobeparis.com/ .

I checked hotel Familia and hotel College de France, and I think the College de France has a better location, but it's just my opinion! It depends on where you really want to stay :)...

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Comparing budget hotels in the Latin Quarter

InnaMontreal is right that free beats inexpensive every time so if your room rate at whatever hotel includes breakfast go for it. When it does not we always prefer a local café even if it isn't cheaper because it is usually better value and we like the bit of local atmosphere we get at a café first thing in the morning.

Of course as I have been known to mention to herself once in a while free isn't free if it's bad...