We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

brussels ruid midi train station

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
206 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
brussels ruid midi train station

before i buy train tickets, we're trying to decide if we'll have enough time to make a 10:05 AM train to bruges if we take a train that arrives @ 9:45 AM

during that time period, we'll be buying a local train tkt from brussels to bruges and back again.

thanks.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: brussels ruid midi train station

We're still talking about travelling from Paris to Bruges, right? You don't need to buy a separate ticket from Brussels to Bruges. On the Thalys web site select Paris as your departure station and Brussels Midi ABS (or something very similar) as your arrival station. ABS stands for All Belgian Stations. Now your onward travel to Bruges is covered for a very small extra fare. You won't have a carriage or seat number on the Brussels to Bruges train. Just take any seat in the appropriate class. And yes, you should be able to make that connection with no problem.

Did I not tell you about this option on the other long thread? If not that is my bad, and I apologize.

Edited: 17 January 2011, 21:10
Chicago
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: brussels ruid midi train station

You should be able to make that connection, as Irish says if you take the ABS option you don't need to buy a separate ticket.

Worst case scenario, you take the next train thirty minutes later.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
206 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: brussels ruid midi train station

you may have, irish, but planning this trip is especially overwhelming as my daughter keeps making me nervous about buying the wrong tkt.

i know thalys has at least one train daily from paris to bruges, but we want to get there before noon, as we will only have the day there.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
206 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: brussels ruid midi train station

just checked the thalys site. could not locate the ABS selection, just specific cities, and the 8:01 option has Xs all the way across :(

Edited: 17 January 2011, 21:26
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
206 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: brussels ruid midi train station

now i see it :(

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
206 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: brussels ruid midi train station

i have to book this in about 90 minutes; the ABS option doesn't cost any more than a reg. tkt to brusells/midi. i'm unclear how i'd continue on to bruges w/ the same tkt?

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
295 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: brussels ruid midi train station

Your ticket is valid to any Belgian station (ABS), so if you are asked for your ticket, you are covered. And yes, it really does cost the same as a ticket to Brussels. I have bought one of these ABS tickets to travel from London. It really is quite a bargain, isn't it?!

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: brussels ruid midi train station

< ... we're trying to decide if we'll have enough time to make a 10:05 AM train to bruges if we take a train that arrives @ 9:45 AM >

If you are arriving in Brussels on the Thalys train from Paris on a ticket with the "Any Belgian Station" option, you can travel on to Bruges without buying another ticket, as IrishRovr has said.

There are 2 trains an hour from *Brussel Zuid / Bruxelles Midi to Bruges - leaving at 05 and 26 minutes past each hour. If you miss the 10.05 train, you can simply get the 10.26.

(*Brussels is a bilingual city - so there is a Dutch and French-language version of the name. Don't be confused by this !)

You should make the 10.05 OK if your arrival from Paris at 09.45 is on time.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: brussels ruid midi train station

Take a deep breath and relax....

Now, slowly and calmly, just book the ticket using the Brussels Midi ABS option. Then when you get to Brussels find the train to Bruges ad board it,. When the conductor comes just show him your ticket. Done and dusted...

And tell your daughter to butt out or do it herself... ;-)

You can do this!

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: brussels ruid midi train station

< Your ticket is valid to any Belgian station (ABS), so if you are asked for your ticket, you are covered. And yes, it really does cost the same as a ticket to Brussels. I have bought one of these ABS tickets to travel from London. It really is quite a bargain, isn't it?! >

Yes - but not quite as much as before. From London to Brussels on the Eurostar, you now have to pay a supplement for the ABS option. The free ABS option stopped, if I remember correctly, on 12th October. I think the ABS option from London now costs an extra £5.50.