We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight + Airline questions

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
605 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Flight + Airline questions

Hi,I have a couple of questions pertaining to my flight that I plan on booking soon. Just deciding on the airline and flight times.

1. If my flight leaves Paris, CDG airport at 10:00am, going to Venice, approximately what time would I have to leave the hotel (it's in the 5th arrondissement), to get to the airport. Also do I need to be at the airport 2 hours before the flight?

2- I am flying home (Canada) from Rome. My choices are fly with KLM Royal Dutch Airlines (I have never flown with them) with a stopover in Amsterdam OR AirFrance with a change of plane in Paris. I read here on tripadvisor that changing planes in CDG airport can be confusing.

I prefer a direct flight home, but it's currently not an option according to the travel site I was on.

Thank-you

Edited: 19 January 2011, 19:51
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,903 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight + Airline questions

1) Are you taking the RER or a taxi to the airport? Yes, I would get there 2 hrs before the flight, so if I were taking the RER, I would leave the hotel around 7:00 am.

2) I wouldn't worry about the airline, I would just pick the shortest travel time (assuming the stopover time is reasonable , ie not 15 minutes :))

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
353 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight + Airline questions

Last October we were staying in the 6th and we took the RER to the airport on Sunday morning for a flight to the US. We allowed 4 hours and we needed every minute. We could have shaved off half an hour if we'd been aware that not every RER station has a manned booth selling tickets on a Sunday morning, but the rest of the time was taken up by the RER trip, getting boarding passes (we didn't have internet access to print them in advance), security, etc.

Maine
Level Contributor
677 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight + Airline questions

Hi you can buy your RER tickets in advance anytime you are using the metro-it would save time. I plan 3 hours from the time I get on the RER, not from my hotel. I have never been able to print off a boarding pass when traveling to another country -I don't think it is possible. Going to the check in counter is a necessity. I could be terminal challenged, but I have to know in advance which terminal my airplane is flying out of before hand, as Charles DeGaulle is indeed a formidable airport and no there's no help on the RER or Airfrance Bus for that matter for passengers to locate what airline flies out of what terminal (such a simple thing to post to help travelers!) Look at Easy CDG.com for a map and help with airlines/terminals. Posted here in TA are 2 handy posts telling you how to get out to CDG and the other leaving CDG to get into Paris by Travelnutty. The RER stops at Terminal 1 and Terminal 2A - F, then you must walk to A,B,C,D,E,or F to check in. If you fly back on AirFrance from Rome, you may fly into Terminal G, which means a shuttle bus to Terminal 1 or 2 to get you to Canada. There needs to be ample layover time to make the connection. As far as Amsterdam, I only flew in/out once, but it was definitely smaller, therefore easier to use. Hope this helps.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight + Airline questions

>>>I plan 3 hours from the time I get on the RER, not from my hotel.<<<

Leaving Paris only three hours before a trans-Atlantic flight is taking a big risk. The airlines ' recommendation is that you be ***at your check-in area*** three hours before departure. Many people have reported needing every minute of that time. We have found more than once that we had no time for anything more than a quick bathroom stop after arriving three hours ahead.

>>>there's no help on the RER or Airfrance Bus for that matter for passengers to locate what airline flies out of what terminal (such a simple thing to post to help travelers!)<<<

Hardly simple when you have an airport with nine terminals and 150-plus airlines. Just how you would post that much information in usable form on the bus or RER I don't quite know.

>>>Look at Easy CDG.com for a map and help with airlines/terminals.<<<

I don't know why you would use a third-party web site that may or may not be accurate and up-to-date. The terminal information is easy to find on the official Paris airports web site.

aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/…

>>>The RER stops at Terminal 1 and Terminal 2A - F, then you must walk to A,B,C,D,E,or F to check in. <<<

There are buses to get you to the more distant parts of T2 if you need them. Free baggage carts are available everywhere if you need or want to walk any distance. The Roissyval automated shuttle will carry you quickly between terminals otherwise. Precise directions as to how to transfer between terminals for a connecting flight are here:

aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/en-GB/Passagers/Acce…

Terminal maps and anything else you might need are also on the AdP (Paris airports) web site.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
605 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight + Airline questions

Thank you all for your help. I am flying from Paris, Air France airline, to Venice. For this flight which is non transatlantic, do I really need to be at the airport 3 hours before the flight?

Also the second part of my original question about which airline to fly home (Toronto) from Rome is solved. I booked all my flights and have chosen to fly home via KLM which stops in Amsterdam. I chose this airline based on the general consensus that navigating CDG is complicated and confusing, and I didn't want to fly home with AirFrance and have a stopover in Paris. If the price was right I would have preferred a nonstop flight from Rome home.

Lisa

Edited: 21 January 2011, 01:54
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight + Airline questions

Hi Lisa, for flights within Europe you need to be at the airport 2 hours before departure.

I think it's best to fly back with KLM - Schiphol is easier to manage and I, personally, prefer KLM's service and meals.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight + Airline questions

According to some experts... it still may be a bit early for some of the best July airfare deals. If you had the option of waiting another month or two, you very well could have seen some non-stop prices from Rome go down.

Have fun on your trip.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight + Airline questions

AF and KLM announced their sale prices last week, many people I know (here, in Canada) have since booked their summer tics... including myself.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight + Airline questions

I should add, that I am not talking about simple flights to/from Paris (that are possible with charters), but more complicated ones with connections/multiple destinations.

Maine
Level Contributor
677 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight + Airline questions

Jeesh Irish Rover, get over yourself!! I did say I was terminal- challenged!

I think this is a place to help people right?