We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narrow it down: Eiffel Tower view room with Internet!

Grand Prairie, TX
Level Contributor
119 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Narrow it down: Eiffel Tower view room with Internet!

Help,

This will be our first time to Paris celebrating my 40th birthday and I would like a view of the Eiffel Tower every night to go to. I definitely want wi-fi or some sort of internet access.

I think we got to decently priced hotels in the running:

Pullman Paris Tour Eiffel

Hotel Duquesne Eiffel

We will be coming in on whatever train it is that takes us from London o Paris through the Chunnel, so ease to get from that station to the hotel would be great as well. We want to see everything in our 4 days, Louvre, Orly, etc etc (GOD-Willing and weather permitting)

If you know another hotel, please share it.

Thanks all,

Keith

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,223 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Narrow it down: Eiffel Tower view room with Internet!

You'll be arriving at Gare du Nord and you can take a taxi or the Metro to your hotel choice. The hotels you mention are not in the area of the station, but that doesn't matter because public transportation is excellent in Paris.

If a view of the Tower is a top priority, and you've found these two hotels are within your budget, then make sure the hotel is actually going to place you in a view room. In addition, ask about the internet. Some hotels have internet access that they provide guests from a shared computer in the lobby--they may not have wireless internet service in the rooms. If this is a priority, make sure you find out.

Many other hotel options could be suggested, but we all have different priorities. Are you ruling out hotels that DON'T have an Eiffel view? And what is your budget in Euros per night? (What is the cost of a view room in the 2 hotels you mention?)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Narrow it down: Eiffel Tower view room with Internet!

I'm getting a bad feeling about this if you have your heart set on it. You can see the Eiffel Tower from plenty of hotels in Paris but never from all of the rooms.

On top of that, there are so many other spectacular things that you can see from a Paris hotel window... Notre Dame, the opera, the Seine, Sacré Coeur...

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,667 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Narrow it down: Eiffel Tower view room with Internet!

The problem with these two hotels in my opinion is their location. First, staying in close proximity to the Tower means being in a very boring, isolated district. Also while those hotels seem very nice you are not surrounded by beauty as soon as you step out. The Trocadéro just across the river would be a little better but I would suggest you stay in an area east of the Tower.

Grand Prairie, TX
Level Contributor
119 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Narrow it down: Eiffel Tower view room with Internet!

Yes, at the moment, I am ruling out hotels without the Eiffel view. I have never been to Paris. Heck, I've never been across the Atlantic and I know it's cheesy but I want to wake up to see it every morning. If you've been to Paris many times, I'm sure it's like whatever, but, it's the thing I want to see almost the MOST there besides the Mona Lisa. I'm sure on subsequent trips this won't matter much but for now, it's a must.

It's looking like about £190 a day. That seems reasonable for the view.

Thanks for the information on the internet IN THE ROOM versus a common area. I'm checking now.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Narrow it down: Eiffel Tower view room with Internet!

The 7th and 15th districts might not be the liveliest, but I wouldn't call them very boring or isolated. The 7th is especially popular with Americans, probably partly due to Rick Steves. There are many cute little streets, including Rue Cler, and plenty of restaurants, cafes, shops. It is worth to visit Musée du quai Branly, even if only for a coffee in the secluded garden.

The 15th has its charm as well - residential but there are little delicacy shops which I like, and again plenty of bars, cafes, places to eat etc, mostly towards and beyond Blvd de Grenelle. The Pullman is actually right at the tower and the Seine: maybe apart from seeing the ET and Mona Lisa you would want to take a Seine cruise as well - pretty convenient.

Grand Prairie, TX
Level Contributor
119 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Narrow it down: Eiffel Tower view room with Internet!

Absolutely dan2001,

We haven't gotten around to the sightseeing planning phase of our trip. We got the flight. Now we're working on the hotels. Next, the transportation (sigh). Then, the sightseeing. Then, the approximate finances with currency and things. Then, we will be ready!

Feel free to message me with any and EVERY idea you have for me. We're doing London, then Paris, then Venice, then Rome!

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Narrow it down: Eiffel Tower view room with Internet!

Looks like you still got a lot of planning to do - this is the best place to ask.

Are you arriving in London and departing from Rome? How many days do you plan for each city? How do you get between Paris, Venice and Rome? Some questions that come to mind.

Grand Prairie, TX
Level Contributor
119 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Narrow it down: Eiffel Tower view room with Internet!

dan2001 -

Fly into London, 4 days, chunnel to Paris, 5 days, easyjet or RyanAir to Venice, 3 days, train to Rome, 4 days, easyJet/RyanAir back to London, then home!

We're just feeling in the pieces right now. London's almost done. It's Paris that's up. We know we want a good spot that we can get on and off the train or metro and get back easily to the hotel. We wouldn't mind a nice place to go see shows or clubbing at night.

Thanks,

Keith

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,667 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Narrow it down: Eiffel Tower view room with Internet!

There's nothing cheezy about wanting a view of the Eiffel Tower. I'm from Paris and never get tired of seeing it when I catch a glimpse of it while walking in the city. I even have one of those 1 ft Eiffel Towers in my iiving room :)

However, once again, be careful with location. While I agree with Dan about each arrondissement having its quaint neighborhoods, none of the two hotels you mentioned is exactly in those cute parts of the 7th and 15th. Hotel Eiffel Rive Gauche which has views of the ET is in one of those cuter parts of the 7th but then the hotel itself gets mixed reviews. The Pullman and Duquesne are not in bad locations either as there's hardly any such thing in Paris but when you contact the hotels, make sure you ask for one of the few rooms that actually have a view of the ET. And ask for a picture of the view if you want to avoid any disappointment. The reason I am saying that is that the view could very well be just the top of the tower over a very ugly wall or behind less than picturesque modern buildings, which abound west of the tower. I don't know the rates at the Best Western Trocadéro but you check it, it has great views of the Eiffel Tower.

http://www.hotelautrocadero.eu/rooms.php

A lot of hotels in more elevated parts of Paris such as Montmartre (but also the 20th arrrondissement) will have a more distant but more charming view of the Tower. For instance, the Carlton's in Montmartre, which is a stone's throw from the Gare du Nord where you will be arriving from London, has several rooms with a view of the ET and a panoramic roof top offering one of the best and romantic views of Paris. It is also a more lively location since you are insterested in clubbing. I am not recommending this hotel in particular as I don't know it but just illustrating the fact that you should expand your search to other districts. The more distant views of the ET are often the prettier and less obstructed ones.

Ryan Air does not have any Paris-venice flights. Easy jet will fly out of Orly airport. Transportation in Paris should be the least of your concerns, it is very easy and efficient. Once you know which hotel for sure you are staying at, we can advise you on the best way to get around.

Edited: 27 January 2011, 10:49
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,719 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Narrow it down: Eiffel Tower view room with Internet!

We stayed at the Pullman when it was still a Hilton a couple of years ago. If you want an Eiffel Tower view this hotel is the closest. Many years ago we also stayed at the Mercure hotel next door.

The area is not the cemetery some people make it out to be. If having a good view of the tower is important to you ignore the naysayers.

You have restaurants and cafes on Rue Suffren and there are who knows how many around the corner in the other direction in the 15th. Both a metro stop and an RER station are steps away.