We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Escalators / elevators in Metro Stations?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
110 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Escalators / elevators in Metro Stations?

Do all Metro stations have escalators and/or elevators, or just some of them? I am not "handicapped" but have old arthritic knees and do not do stairs very well. If only some stations have "assisted" stairs I would like to know which ones, thanks very much.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,519 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Escalators / elevators in Metro Stations?

they don't all have escalators -- sometimes one exit has one and others don't (look for signs) -- the very deep ones have elevators e.g. Lamarck-Caulaincourt and Cite

it is VERY common for the long escalators to the surface in some of the medium deep stations to be out of order

and it is typical for there to be several flights of stairs involved in making a correspondence

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Escalators / elevators in Metro Stations?

Agree with above. You need to know the icon sign for elevators and escalators and keep a sharp eye out for them.

When a transfer is involved, there may be escalators for some levels but not others. And, they are definitely out of order on a regular basis.

If you want to avoid stairs getting around Paris, just take the buses! We much prefer the buses to the metro for a multitude of reasons. For one thing, the stops get you much closer to your destination. And, you have the opportunity to enjoy the glorious scenery all along the way, and identify places appealing for hopping off and continuing your journey later.

I've never found an updated list with stations/escalators/elevators. But, it's definitely miserable when you find three double staircases are involved getting from the metro platform to the street.

Some say that buses are a lot slower, and they could be, but we'd still rather sit and enjoy the scerery along our journeys.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Escalators / elevators in Metro Stations?

As djk says, it's a trade-off using the bus. Yes, you might take more time to reach your destination, but when you get there your knees won't fail you from the exhaustion of so many stairs. The bus is an excellent, even common sense, alternative for anyone who is handicapped, has a baby with a stroller, or just doesn't do stairs easily.

Edited: 14 February 2011, 12:49
Paris
Level Contributor
2,961 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Escalators / elevators in Metro Stations?

I love using the bus system too, but if I have an appointment I frequently take the metro. And don't count on getting a seat on the bus. They can be packed at rush hour (although passengers on the buses tend to be more thoughtful of the elderly, handicapped etc.)

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Escalators / elevators in Metro Stations?

It is impossible to avoid all the stairs, sometimes quite long flights. and longish walks through cheerless hallways on the métro. Here is a simplified map showing many of the most useful bus routes in the center of Paris. They will take you along some of the most interesting and beautiful of the major streets and past most of the principal monuments and museums. These are shown on the map along with the routes of the l'Open Tour HOHO buses, perhaps another option for you. http://tinyurl.com/lgha8l

As others will point out this map is not a substitute for a more complete bus map which you can pick up free at most métro stations. The complete map is a bit intimidating for most first-time visitors not accustomed to complicated urban mass transit networks so the simpler map gives you an easy "Paris Buses 101" place to start.

Hope it helps.

Edited: 14 February 2011, 17:07
Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Escalators / elevators in Metro Stations?

The RATP interactive map shows which stations are friendly to disabled riders.

http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/

Click on a -LINE-, NOT A STATION on the map and 4 icons will pop up. One of them is the "le plan de la lLigne" icon (red dots on a gray background. Stations on the line that are disabled-friendly will have that icon after the station name.

Colorado
Level Contributor
110 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Escalators / elevators in Metro Stations?

Ok it sounds a lot like New York :-(

Are there particular lines that are "deeper" than others?

I'm trying to pick a hotel that's near an "easy" Metro station since that's the one I would be using most. And I will take the advice given here about using the bus, especially for shorter trips. Thanks everyone!

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Escalators / elevators in Metro Stations?

Line 14 is the easiest. All stations have escalators and elevators. The RER-B stations in central Paris are pretty well covered too and between them there are lots of options.

I also agree that the buses are an excellent option.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Escalators / elevators in Metro Stations?

Most stations on only one metro line, such as l'Ecole Militaire and LaTour Maubourg, are "easy". Both have an escalator out.

An "easy" metro station is fine for heading out or the last station on your way home. The problem is the stations where you have to transfer along the way and then getting to the street from your destination station.

I always choose a hotel or apartment location for the nearby bus routes, rather than metro stations.

We were across the street from Montparnasse station last trip, but used the buses almost exclusively. When we did ride the metro we used the Falguiere station around the corner, to avoid the miles of hallways and stairs in Montparnasse station.

Shelton, Washington
Level Contributor
457 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Escalators / elevators in Metro Stations?

The bus lines in Paris are the best for gimpy knees. My wife and I are 70+ and travel with a Leki walking stick each. They go down to a short length for luggage but are extremely sturdy. Newer Paris busses have a curb height entrance in the middle with senior/handicapped seats in the center. We spent a week and never had a young person not offer a seat if all were full. I even had a brief discussion with an elderly Parisian gentlemen without a cane who insisted I take the last seat.

The navigo decouverte pass was invaluable.