We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paris opera

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
188 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
paris opera

i'm trying to obtain either opera or ballet tickets at the paris opera but am finding the website to be very confusing- keeps going from french to english and back again, asking for i.d. numbers, etc. does anyone know of an easier way to obtain tickets?

thank you

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: paris opera

As for the i.d. number ----- to buy tickets through the Paris Opera website, you need to open an account. No charge, but you need to give them the information and they will send you an e-mail with your i.d. number.

Now, having done that, I have not yet been able to buy tickets, but that's another story related to availability.

It IS very confusing...

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paris opera

It is a confusing website. It's true that you need to obtain an ID number first. Then look at the seating chart to get an idea of which seats are acceptable to you. You also need to know whether the performance is at the Opera Bastille or the Opera Garnier. They, of course, have different seating charts. I only go to performances at Opera Garnier. Opera Bastille is much more modern. Some people like it. I've never been there.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: paris opera

As mentioned you need to register before you can make a booking. Before you do that you should probably investigate what performances are taking place when you are in Paris, whether booking is already open for those performances, and if so whether seats are still available online. If you are having difficulty even figuring out that much tell us your dates and I or somebody else can quickly find that information for you.

Are you interested in performances at only the Garnier or at both houses? These days the Bastille is the primary opera venue, the Garnier the principal ballet theater but some ballets are staged at the Bastille and some operas at the Garnier.

FWIW when you have been through the process once I don't think you will find the web site confusing.

ILWP - If you enjoy opera you really owe it to yourself to go to the Bastille one of these days. The house has wonderful acoustics and sightlines. From both those point of view and for its much greater technical capability the Bastille is IMO a better theater for most opera productions and some ballets than the Garnier.

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: paris opera

Thanks IrishRovr. I don't love opera. I love ballet. And when I am in Paris, my favorite combination is Opera Garnier + ballet. However, I did go to an opera an Opera Garnier. I didn't enjoy the opera but I loved just being at the Opera Garnier for a performance of ANYTHING.

Get your ID number now whether or not you are ready to purchase tickets. The ID number will be yours for anytime in the future and you will have it whenever you need it.

london
Level Contributor
56 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: paris opera

how do you get less expensive tickets?

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: paris opera

LondonAnnie41: less expensive than what?

They usually have a variety of prices and seat locations for any particular performance that are available for purchase on line. If they don't have the absolute cheapest (at the Opera Garnier that usually means at least partially obstructed or in the back of the theatre where the leg room is seriously nonexistant!) seats for sale on line, you would need to purchase them at the theatre itself. Keep checking the website because what is available sometimes changes and you will suddenly see other seat prices available. It is risky to wait to purchase seats until you get to Paris because I think most performances sell out. However, if sold out, you can stand in front of the theatre before showtime to see if there is anyone there trying to sell their tickets.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: paris opera

Only the more expensive seat categories are available for booking online or by phone. The least expensive seat categories are sold only through the box office. These seats are not all as undesirable as ILWP suggests particularly at the Bastille.

The least expensive online tickets at the Garnier generally range in price from €15 to €45, most commonly €23; at the Bastille the corresponding prices are usually in the €15 to €40 range. The key to getting the less expensive online tickets is to book as soon as the booking date opens. Generally speaking the cheapest and mid-price tickets sell out first.

The Bastille does have a very limited number of day-of-performance standing room tickets. The Garnier does not have any such last-minute tickets.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,844 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: paris opera

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"The Bastille does have a very limited number of day-of-performance standing room tickets."

"IrishRovr" - we are going to Paris in September and staying just down the street from the Bastille Opera House - I'd love to go while we are there and don't mind at all standing room tickets - but how do you go about purchasing these? Is it directly from the Opera Bastille box office or someplace else?

Mahalo for your help!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: paris opera

I don't know anything about the Opera Bastille because I don't go there. But I have gotten inexpensive tickets online for the Opera Garnier more than once. I think I have paid 30E-45E for tickets online.

Edited: 18 February 2011, 21:29
Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: paris opera

Janet - They are sold as soon as the doors open for the particular performance i.e. 1.5-2 hours before the curtain. You'd probably want to get there a good bit before that though as I'm sure there would be people waiting.

ILWP - Did you read the second paragraph of my post #7?