We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coq au Vin & Beef Bourginiene

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Coq au Vin & Beef Bourginiene

Bonsoir:

Last time we visited France we enjoyed wonderful Coq au Vin andBeef Bourginiene.

Can you recommend a place (or two) in Paris where we can try some more?

We'd prefer to eat dinner near or hotel (Britannique, on Victoria), near the Bastille Opera, near the Pompidou, or on Ile St Louis or Ile de la Cite.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,423 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coq au Vin & Beef Bourginiene

When you say Beef Borginiene, do you mean this??:

pics.worldofautographs.com/mtv/eborg03.jpg

;-s

or do you mean this??:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_bourguignon

Edited: 28 February 2011, 01:39
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coq au Vin & Beef Bourginiene

Boeuf bourgignon is readily available in traditional restaurants. Coq au vin has become more rare, but it can be found with a bit of research.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,423 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coq au Vin & Beef Bourginiene

I can't personally recommend anywhere, but here's another web forum that might help:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/267808

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coq au Vin & Beef Bourginiene

Very funny!

My favorite boeuf bourguignon in Paris is at Josphine Chez Dumonet. In fact, I fall asleep each night imagining sitting at my table, with my attentive and funny waiter, in the beautiful dark-wood restaurant, moaning quietly to myself at the deliciousness of my boeuf bourguignon. It is heaven on a plate. They serve half as well as full orders. You must make reservations at least a couple of days in advance and I think it is easier to get a table at lunch then at dinner. Reservations are taken by telephone or walk by only.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coq au Vin & Beef Bourginiene

Thank you. In love with. The help is very much appreciated

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Coq au Vin & Beef Bourginiene

Nothing to do with Ernest though he look like he could cook a mean one.. Bourgignon means "something from Bourgogne" i.e Burgundy...

In the Bordeaux region we call it beuf en Daube or just Daube as we wouldn' t dream, even under torture, to mention Bourgogne..

Anyway, by any name the dish is a beef stew with wine...very easy to make at home but one shouldn't be in a hurry . Slow cooking is best and, like many simple dishes, it taste even better the day after or the day after that. One of my grandma, a great cook, liked to say that it was one of many dishes that are a way of using meat and vegetable leftovers...adding bitter chocolate and dry prunes give it something special.

Finding one in a restaurant is a bit tricky as, especially in low to medium priced restaurants, French chefs like to use whatever was both interesting and economical that day at the wholesale market.. Both dishes are seasonal, and rarely eaten in spring and summer..

I would look for a restaurant featuring traditional regional cuisine...not helpful am I?

Edited: 27 February 2011, 21:17
Perugia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coq au Vin & Beef Bourginiene

I second the suggestion of Josephine Chez Dumonet, their Boeuf Bourgignon is fantastic.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coq au Vin & Beef Bourginiene

Josephine it is!!

Could you tell me whether reservations are needed, and what the best time might be -- I think we will go on our first full day in Paris -- since we will be wandering in the 6th anyway, so we will be hungry.

Also, should we expect to be able to dine for a nice leisurely time?

Many thanks for the recommendation. Looking forward to it already.

Perugia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coq au Vin & Beef Bourginiene

You should definitely make a reservation a few days ahead. I've never lunched there, but have had dinner twice. The first time we got there as they were opening, the second time was much later, but on both occasions we took our time and never felt rushed in any way. Enjoy!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,427 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coq au Vin & Beef Bourginiene

Most of the nicer French restaurants expect you to stay for several hours at least and they do not usually have a second sitting booked. As the Maitre D at Guy Savoy said as we were leaving "Why are you going so soon, I do not need that table until lunch tomorrow."