We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Restaurants - your opinion?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Naples
Level Contributor
293 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended Restaurants - your opinion?

Just received a list of recommended restaurants from our VRBO. Checked them out on Trip Advisor: Many have very old reviews, some have horrible reviews and others have no reviews at all. Just wondered if any one can share their thoughts on the restaurants the owner provided. Here they are:

Oyster Restaurant, Huitrerie Regis, 3 rue Montfaucon, Paris 75006

Bofinger (www.bofingerparis.com)

Spring (www.springparis.blogspot.com)

Restaurant Alivi (www.restaurant-alivi.com)

Epicerie Fine (www.coptoir-gastronomie.com)

Le Petit Pontoise (bestrestaurantsparis.com/restaurant-paris/de…)

Laduree (www.laduree.fr)

Le Grand Colbert (www.legrandcolbert.fr/)

Le Grand Vefour (www.grand-vefour.com)

Brasserie Lipp (www.brasserie-lipp.fr)

Le Pave (www.lepave.fr)

Vins et Terroirs (66, Rue St Andre des Arts, 75006 Paris)

I've looked on the related web-sites (also provided by VRBO) but it's difficult to judge a restaurant by its website so any input from trip advisors would be so appreciated! We are staying in the on rue Vieille du Temple 75004 so feel free to jump in with your own suggestions if you know of any good restaurants in that area.

Many thanks! Sorry the list is so long.

Paris
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Restaurants - your opinion?

I've eaten at most of these places. The best one, by far, is Spring. They serve a menu w/ no choices, very innovative and good. Bofinger is a large brasserie w/ elaborate Art Nouveau decor, food is ok (choucroute garni, fish, oysters etc.). The Alivi is a small Corsican restaurant w/ good food. Le Petit Pontoise is a small restaurant that serves classic bistro food. Laduree is a tea salon famous for its pastries, especially macarons. I like to have lunch there (quiche or club sandwiches for example). The Grand Colbert is a beautiful restaurant made famous when it was in a Jack Nicholson film. It is a tourist trap though. The Grand Vefour is gorgeous, very old. It has 2 Michelin stars in the 2010 guide, w/ 88 euro lunch and 215/265 euro dinner. I haven't been there in a couple of years. I had dinner at Le Pave last week, and I was disappointed. The food was poor quality, and the service was rushed. I wouldn't go back.

Naples
Level Contributor
293 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Restaurants - your opinion?

Frenchtwinkie ~ Bless you for shedding some light on most of the restaurants that were recommended to us. Your input is a huge help!

So, now the obvious question since you apparently love to eat in good restaurants: Do you have some favorites in the area where we'll be staying (rue Vieille du Temple 75004)?

Hope you won't think I'm taking advantage of your willingness to comment but it's so wonderful to have a local do the recommending!

Paris
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended Restaurants - your opinion?

Here are a few more places:

in your street: Robert & Louise, 64 r. du Vieille du Temple, is small and quaint. Not my favorite because I find the portions too big, and I'm not much of a red meat lover. But it has a good reputation.

Le Gaigne, 12 r. Pecquay, is a small place in a tiny street. Innovative cuisine, not very expensive.

L'Enoteca, 25 r. Charles V. It's near the Red Wheelbarrow bookshop, which I love, so this is a sort of favorite too. It's an Italian wine bar in an ancient building. They serve a wonderful antipasto and a huge selection of Italian wine by the glass. Not a pizzeria, however.

Au Bourguignon du Marais, 52 r. Francois Miron. Another wine bar, but this one specializes in Burgundies. Good standard French food.

But really, you will find amazing restaurants throughout the city.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
419 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended Restaurants - your opinion?

We second the tiny "Le Gaigne," 12 r. Pecquay. (And we also agree with Frenchtwinkie's first post about the rest.) -- Jake

CA
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended Restaurants - your opinion?

We stay right up the street from Le Gran Colbert. Nearby Le Vaudeville is a better choice.

CA
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended Restaurants - your opinion?

This website will, if nothing else, will really put you in the mood:

http://www.restovisio.com/

Naples
Level Contributor
293 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended Restaurants - your opinion?

To my three new best-friends: Merci!!

About 15 years ago, on our first visit to Paris, we had a list of restaurants provided by an American friend-of-a-friend who had lived with his partner in Paris for many years. Our trip was spectacular ~ in large part thanks to Bob's amazing list of restaurants that the typical tourist would never have found.

Now the list is old and tattered and I can't find mention of most of the restaurants. Thanks to my Trip Advisors friends, though, I now have hope of repeating a spectacular visit! I do appreciate your help.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,956 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommended Restaurants - your opinion?

There is also another nice restaurant on your street, 1 or 2 blocks from Robert and Louise, Le Colimacon at 44 rue de Vieille du Temple

TA reviews are here...

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187147-d103…

You can wander around and read menus.

Pjk

Naples
Level Contributor
293 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommended Restaurants - your opinion?

Pjk, Thanks for another recommendation. I'm pretty sure this restaurant is only steps away from the apartment that we've rented ~ that's always a plus after a tiring day of touring.

While we most certainly will run out of either time or money before we try all of your recommendations, we're still open for new suggestions -- or comments on those already suggested -- if anyone else wants to chime in!

Again, thanks to all who have already shared their time and input.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,725 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommended Restaurants - your opinion?

THE restaurants du moment that all the locals are raving about

Le Regalade on the rue St Honoré

Le Chateaubriand

By everyone, I mean local young couples on a budget, expat ladies who lunch, affluent Parisians who dine regularly at 3 stars and Yanks who come here to eat their way through the city.

Also, next to La Petite Pontoise is Itineraires. I went a couple of weeks ago and had an AMAZING meal. The crowd was almost exclusively foreigners, but the food extra-ordinary. By the time we left the locals came streaming in.

Chez Rene is another nearby favorite I've recently haunted. The were voted the best mousse au chocolat in Paris. I went for lunch mid week and the place was crawling with regulars, including local celebs from the publishing and political scenes.