We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good district to stay in?

Cairns, Qld
Level Contributor
14 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Good district to stay in?

Hi, would like suggestions for a district to stay in, then I can research hotels/apartments in just that area. Would like somewhere that has cafes, restaurants & bars open of an evening that can just walk around with plenty of choice.

Doesn't need to be near the attractions as happy to travel the distances during the day using metro etc but for the evening do not want to have to walk far for choices.

Paris is so big not sure where to start. Want to avoid the business and residential neighbourhoods as they are probably not much open in evening?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
360 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Good district to stay in?

Do you have a budget for you trip - or do you plan on shopping, fancy restaurants? It will help find an area.

Cairns, Qld
Level Contributor
14 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good district to stay in?

My budget is somewhere in the middle (I know Paris being a big city will not be cheap). So for hotel/apartment not 5 star but not the budget end, I can research once I have an idea of a good district. Don't want to end up in red light city but do want cafes etc. For restaurants nothing flashy, just like to have plenty of choice and maybe variety of cuisines, but doesn't need to be anything posh.

Not particularly interested in shopping. Plan to visit the sites in the day then just want to find nice cafes/bars/restaurants to enjoy wine and some food in the evenings.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,992 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good district to stay in?

I recommend either the 5th or 6th arrondissements.

manchester...
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good district to stay in?

we like the latin quarter or around the 5th &6th....we have been there and are returning in november...

its nice streets with lovely places to eat at night....and very near the Notre Dame which is hauntingly pretty to look at night.....

of course there will be advisors who come along on here and they will aslo offer u advice...but what thy may want is a true idea of what u want to pay per night.....

we got a lovelly hotel for £100 a night / dble room ....hotel college de france...

and some will aslo tell u that u dont need to pay high/middle prices to get comfort....

we were alos torn towards other hotels towards montmartre but then decided we can visit - the top of the hill - and return back to base in the evening....

hope this helps a bit :)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good district to stay in?

I can certainly reccomend the suites i stayed in , my review is in reviews, ? lol ?

good area , shops restraunts within easy walking, safe , v close to metro,

4 star, we got a special offer appx £100 papn off easyjet aptmnts

imo good vfm, would def stay there again,

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good district to stay in?

>>>Would like somewhere that has cafes, restaurants & bars open of an evening that can just walk around with plenty of choice.<<<

That would describe great swaths of many arrondissements besides those mentioned. The 4th, 5th and 6th certainly, but also great chunks of the 3rd, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th and many more.

Cairns, Qld
Level Contributor
14 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good district to stay in?

Hi Howmuchfurther, thanks for your post, really appreciate all replies. I have just read your review and some of the other reviews for those suites said they were in the financial district so quiet of an evening. That is what I am trying to avoid. My auntie went to Paris years ago and said she stayed in a business/financial district and had to walk a long way in the evening to find just one or two restaurants.

I am a fussy eater so like to have plenty of choice of restaurants (not fancy, just choice) so that is why I thought I would post and ask folks to recommend a district. For example west end of London you know will not be cheap but also lots of choice, whereas if you stay near say St Pauls then of a night nothing is happening after about 6/7pm when all the workers have gone home!

CA
Level Contributor
7,153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good district to stay in?

How about the 2nd??

For years we have been staying at the Hotel Vivienne.

paris@hotel-vivienne.com

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,566 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good district to stay in?

I recommend the Latin Quarter

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews