We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Reservation for Paris to Amsterdam

Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Train Reservation for Paris to Amsterdam

My husband and I have a bought a Eurail pass and am trying to make a reservation for a train journey from Paris to Amsterdam in mid-April. I've been on the Thalys website but can't seem to find an option where I can make a reservation.

Has anyone done this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Paris
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Reservation for Paris to Amsterdam

Well, the Thalys website is only for reservations, so I am a bit confused. The issue might be that usually there is no such thing as reservation only on the Thalys site. Most people use it to buy their tickets, that have built in reservations, so, since you already have your "ticket", as it were, through your pass, you would need a reservation only. Honestly, I don't know how to do this, but people on this board might have been Eurail users (fewer and fewer of them, since it's not a very good financial deal, I am afraid to say) and know how to get out of this Catch 22 situation. But actually, unless you are travelling on a very "high profile" week-end, you'll always find two seats available on a Thalys to Amsterdam, there must be 4 or 5 a day, so you might as well book at a station or a Boutique SNCF when in France. The reason why most people book ahead on the site is to get better fares, but since you have the pass, this is irrelevant to you.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Reservation for Paris to Amsterdam

AFAIK, you'll have to make and pay for your reservations overseas, in person. You can try at one of the SNCF boutiques, but you may have to go to a rail station.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Reservation for Paris to Amsterdam

Eurail isn't fully valid on Thalys, so you need to buy a pass holder's ticket, from a ticket office:

thalys.com/fr/…Brussels

There may be a quota on each train - there is on TGVs in France which is why most people on this board don't advise using Eural passes.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Reservation for Paris to Amsterdam

Most people do not recommend the rail passes because they are expensive to begin with and potentially VERY expensive when you add the reservation fees and supplements. As you see the supplement for the Paris to Amsterdam trip is €27 on top of the cost for one day of your pass. The one way advance purchase fare for this trip can be as low as €35 booked far enough in advance. On some trains the supplements are even higher, €85 one way on the Paris to London Eurostar for example when the one way advance purchase fare is as low as €50.

Even if you book today you can still find a €35 fare on some trains in mid-April and a €45 fare on many others. Depending o your itinerary, if you can cancel your rail pass, you might still come out ahead. If not perhaps others reading this will be encouraged to investigate their options before succumbing to marketing and buying a pass.

Passes are aggressively marketed by sites such as RailEurope (who should be avoided for ALL European train bookings in any case) and Rick Steves even though for the vast majority of travellers they are neither convenient nor cost-effective.

Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Reservation for Paris to Amsterdam

Thank you all for your contributions and advice. Sounds like the best bet is to buy the pass holder's ticket once I get to Paris!

I'm actually travelling all around Italy, France and Amsterdam in the space of 1 month, not only between Paris and Amsterdam for a weekend. I did the maths and found that the Eurail 3-country Select Pass would be more cost effective than point-to-point tickets, even when I factor in the reservation fees. It is a hassle though, that even with a pass I still have to make reservations and buy extra tickets.

Thanks so much again everyone for your help. Have a very lovely day! :)

6. Re: Train Reservation for Paris to Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 06:18