We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from La Villette to Gare du Nord

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
202 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from La Villette to Gare du Nord

Hi everyone,

My husband and I will be staying at the Forest Hill La Villette Hotel. What's the best way to travel from the hotel to the Gare du Nord train station (we're catching the Eurostar to London)? We will have luggage with us, so we're thinking of taking a taxi unless there's a better way. We will be going to Gare du Nord train station in the morning.

Thank you!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,157 reviews
from US$108.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
571 reviews
from US$51.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$331.40*
Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from La Villette to Gare du Nord

Metro line 7 from Porte de la Villette in front of your hotel goes to Gare de l'Est. From there it's either a short walk to Gare du Nord, either connecting on line 4 direction Porte de Clignancourt and next stop is Gare du Nord.

It should take around 20 minutes, 30 at most.

Metros run from 6.00 in the morning.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
202 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from La Villette to Gare du Nord

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

Are you saying I will have to take two trains from La Villette to get to Gare du Nord?

Paris
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from La Villette to Gare du Nord

Yes, or, as Flore already stated it, take a short walk from gare de l'Est (a 9mn walk, according to the RATP website)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
202 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from La Villette to Gare du Nord

Okay, thanks! We might decide to take a taxi, since we have luggage with us. What's the traffic like from La Villette to Gare du Nord between 9:00am and 10:00am? And should I book a taxi, or will I easily be able to take one from the hotel?

Thank you!

Paris
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from La Villette to Gare du Nord

It's quite heavy, this being full rush hour and La Villette being one of the major Northern entrance points to Paris. Having said that, now taxis have dedicated lanes in this area, so it shouldn't take more than 15-20 mn tops. Talk to the hotel about the taxi situation. They might offer to book you one, which usually means a good €5 extra (Paris taxis are allowed to start their meter wherever they are when the taxi company dispatcher calls them, isn't that smart? )

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get from La Villette to Gare du Nord

A taxi would be easy and cheap from there. (But the metro actually starts at 5:30 and not at 6:00.) With wheeled luggage, I might even consider taking the metro to Louis Blanc and walking to Gare du Nord from there (downhill on rue La Fayette), but that's just me.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
202 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get from La Villette to Gare du Nord

Thank you both for your responses.

Wow, I can't believe taxis can start their meter wherever they are! Taking that into consideration, and heavy traffic, how much would you say the taxi fare would be, tops?

I wouldn't mind taking the metro but at this stage I am not confident we won't get lost and miss our Eurostar train! How long would it take to take the metro to Louis Blanc and then walk to Gare du Nord? Is there a comprehensive map online I can look at? I have never been to Paris.

Thank you!

Paris
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get from La Villette to Gare du Nord

Holidaymaker, what I can't believe, as far as I am concerned, is that you have been asking all these questions without even looking at a map! Sooner or later, you'll need one, so you'd better buy one ASAP, or in the mean time, look at one online. I would recommend www.viamichelin.com (it's in English). As per the métro/public transport maps, here is the link to the English homepage of RATP (Paris transport authority), you'll find all the maps you need there: http://www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/c_21879/tourists/. Among other things they have route finders where you enter your points of departure and arrivals, then the site calculates the best itinerary, how long it'll take, the walking involved, etc. like in any other major city in the world.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
202 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get from La Villette to Gare du Nord

Thanks for the links. I have actually been to the second website you mentioned; I just found it didn't make things completely clear for me. I've just had another look, and it looks like I should take Line 7 to Stalingrad, then change to Line 5 to Gare du Nord. Now my other question would be: how far is it to walk from the Gare du Nord metro station to the Gare du Nord terminal for the Eurostar?

Thank you!

Paris
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get from La Villette to Gare du Nord

In Gare du Nord, métro and trains are within the same compound, so it's just a matter of five minutes, sometimes less (depends on the métro line). The term "terminal" for the Eurostar might be misleading (or just pompous), it's not like a separate building: actually it's just a mezzanine in the heart of the station. Everything is über-clearly signposted, you would really need to get out of your way to get lost.

Personally, I entered "Porte de la Villette to Gare du Nord" in RATP's research engine and it "told" me to take line 7 straight to Gare de l'Est + a 9 mn walk to GdN. But actually, I think Kerouac's suggestion is better, since Louis Blanc is a small station, then it's straight down rue La Fayette to GdN.

Edited: 11 March 2011, 02:35