We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bir-Hakeim to Gare du Nord

Australia
Level Contributor
375 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Bir-Hakeim to Gare du Nord

We will be travelling from our hotel in the 15th to Gare du Nord to catch the TGV to Reims. Bir-Hakeim is the nearest metro to our hotel. What would be the easiest route to Gare du Nord? We will not have luggage with us - this will be a day trip - and we haven't got tickets yet, but will probably be aiming for an early-ish time (to make the most of the day in Reims).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

regards

Susannah

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,578 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bir-Hakeim to Gare du Nord

Walk to Champ de Mars Tour Eiffel station on RER Line C (it is very close to Bir Hakeim) and go to St-Michel Notre-Dame. Change there to RER Line B or D for Gare du Nord.

Paris
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bir-Hakeim to Gare du Nord

Susanah, during your stay in Paris, you are going to take the métro quite a few times every day. I wonder if before each ride you are going to go to this board to ask us how to go from A to B... It might be time for you to look at a métro map and to figure out how to get around by yourself, it might come in handy when you are there. Like any transport authority in the world, RATP has a website with maps and journey planners, and it's even in English: www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/c_21891/travelling/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bir-Hakeim to Gare du Nord

For a direct TGV to Reims, you'd want the Gare de l'Est, not the Gare du Nord. I would start by taking Nick's advice: RER C (Direction: Austerlitz) to St Michel. Then I'd change to the number 4 Metro line (Direction: Porte de Clignancourt) to the Gare de l'Est.

Depending on the exact location of your hotel, an alternative might be to walk to the La Motte Piquet Grenelle station (number 8 line, Direction: Creteil), change at Opera to the 7 (Direction: La Courneuve) for the Gare de l'Est. That would be a relatively easy change - unlike the seemingly confusing and chaotic change (for a first-timer) at St Michel.

Allow at least a full hour from leaving your hotel to boarding the TGV train, even if you have your tickets in hand. (For comparison, a taxi from your hotel should take no more than 20 minutes to the station entrance. That would cost 16- 18 euro.)

-- Steve

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bir-Hakeim to Gare du Nord

http://knol.google.com/k/paris-metro#

www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/carteidf.php…

Australia
Level Contributor
375 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bir-Hakeim to Gare du Nord

Thanks, Sydneynick, I thought you'd come to my rescue with some quick advice! Is the RER differnt to the metro?

RendeVousParis - I'm pretty sure that I will have a lot of time to explore the metro, and will take my time to get a feel for the place. For the trips that I will be making fairly early in my stay, I thought I would tap into the collective wisdom of Tripadvisor. What I don't want to end up doing is pre-booking TGV tickets and then have a hurried trip trying to make the connection. I won't be asking for the routine trips (half the fun of the holiday will be the exploring), just for two trips where I will be connecting from the urban transport system to the TGV.

And thanks to to YakkinYeti and IrishRovr - I'll explore the links and familiarise myself with the various alternatives (and double check which station!)

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bir-Hakeim to Gare du Nord

Feel free to ask a question if unsure. With so few using travel agencies today, some travelers to a new city just need assurance. Thats the whole point to TA, for travelers to assist others. The first trip I planned to Paris could not have been as successful without this forum!

T

Australia
Level Contributor
375 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bir-Hakeim to Gare du Nord

Thanks, Tricia27 - Tripadvisor has been an important part of my research - and all the information has been very helpful. I now know about carnets of 10 metro tickets, that a navigo decouverte will be good value for the Monday-Sunday time we will be focussing on Paris, and how to successfully book tickets to the Ballet (and yes, I did need to be quick!).

I think TA is a great resource, and I really appreciate that so many people are sharing their knowledge (and good humour) with fellow travellers!

regards

Susannah

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bir-Hakeim to Gare du Nord

Bir-Hakeim is - or will be soon - under siege again :-(

Australia
Level Contributor
375 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bir-Hakeim to Gare du Nord

"under seige"???? Not sure what you mean by this?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bir-Hakeim to Gare du Nord

Bir Hakeim was a battle in North Africa desert in World War 2.

The Free French under General (later Marshal of France) Koenig held off the Italians and Germans under Rommel long enough for the British to retreat to their lines at Alamein.

The small town was indeed under siege until the French were at last able to fight their way out.

The metro stop is named in honour of the brave men who fought in this battle. If you're interested you can read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bir_Hakeim