We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code for Churches?

Austin
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
Dress code for Churches?

I will be visiting Paris in June, so I suspect it will be warm. Is there a dress code for visiting the churches in Paris? For example I know in Italy the men must have their knees covered (long pants) and women must have their shoulders covered in the churches. Are their similar restrictions in Paris (i.e. are short pants allowed)?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,462 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress code for Churches?

Officially, no, but it's a place of worship and you should dress respectfully.

Edited: 14 March 2011, 16:38
Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress code for Churches?

It depends also on age and look and...

In my younger days it was OK for boys and young men from 10 to 18--and even for our very mature boy scout leader-- to wear shorts in church, while girls and women had to be conservatively dressed and cover their hair.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress code for Churches?

Be respectful.

That means LONG PANTS for men (and no shorts for women)

and

Ladies should cover their shoulders. (My wife carries a light weight scarf which she throws on as a wrap when we travel. It's perfect.

Illinois
Level Contributor
564 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress code for Churches?

Churches in Paris function as both places of worship, and as tourist attractions. The more famous cathedrals, such as Notre Dame, function primarily as the latter. We went there during a Gregorian Mass on a Sunday, and all during the service there was a constant throng of tourists circling the outer isles, snapping pictures, talking. Those performing and participating in the mass just seemed to be trying their best to carry on as if the crowd did not exist. As a member of the throng, it seemed very strange indeed. Anyway, I would wear whatever you feel comfortable wearing as a visitor, or as a participant in a service.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress code for Churches?

The dress code depends on your attitude regarding the concerned religion. All places of worship built before 1905 are property of the French Republic and are only put at the disposal of the religion in question but are not really controlled by it. Therefore, there are no Italian style rules for entering a church.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
665 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress code for Churches?

" Churches in Paris function as both places of worship, and as tourist attractions. The more famous cathedrals, such as Notre Dame, function primarily as the latter. We went there during a Gregorian Mass on a Sunday, and all during the service there was a constant throng of tourists circling the outer isles, snapping pictures, talking. Those performing and participating in the mass just seemed to be trying their best to carry on as if the crowd did not exist."

"...primarily as the latter". I don't think so.

We have also been to a Gregorian mass at Notre Dame and I only remember the mass, not the tourists.

To me, entering a church as a tourist, means dressing decently, being respectful, being quiet, and not using a flash on my camera. Easy.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,462 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress code for Churches?

Veropalo, I believe you were engrossed in the service, because there was a steady stream of tourists at Notre Dame at Christmas Eve Mass.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
665 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress code for Churches?

Morning Sunshine

There are no tourists at my local church but maybe I'm used to blocking out distractions after years of taking my kids to mass. Plus, following the mass in a foreign language is enough of a challenge to me without worrying about what's going on in the rest of the church. I was also seated on the centre aisle, so perhaps far enough away from the people around the edges, to not even notice them.

London, England
Level Contributor
556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dress code for Churches?

>>All places of worship built before 1905 are property of the French Republic and are only put at the disposal of the religion in question but are not really controlled by it. Therefore, there are no Italian style rules for entering a church.<<

This is very interesting. Thank you for the insight.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dress code for Churches?

The more famous cathedrals, such as Notre Dame, function primarily as the latter

Claire, I couldn't disagree in strong enough terms. Notre Dame, as any church, is *primarily* a place of worship for a parish. It is not primarily a tourist destination. You might read about it in guide books, but that doesn't make it any less a church. And it is one of my never-ending rants that tourists go through it talking loudly and snapping their pictures, flashbulbs blazing, expecially when a mass/service is going on.

And the fact that hordes of tourists do it all the livelong day doesn't make it right.