We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which guidebook is most helpful?

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
81 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Which guidebook is most helpful?

I am trying to decide which guidebook to buy for my trip this summer. I am staying a week in Paris and want something helpful and practical. I would consider myself a low-medium budget traveler. I won't be staying in any hostels, but I won't be going to a restaurant for every meal. I have an apartment already to stay in on St. Severin. Any suggestions would be great.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
94 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which guidebook is most helpful?

EYEWITNESS! I believe they are still called that, anyway. It's shiny white glossy paper. Has amazing information, beautiful pictures and is very easy to use, even when lost or flustered! I've bought dozens of them and love them! They usually cost about $30.00 new.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which guidebook is most helpful?

Try to find a discount book dealer. You can find a year or two out of date travel guides for around $6 or less. Buy two or three, you will find useful information in each one. You can also go to your local library and check out travel guides.

I found 'Frommer's Protable Paris 2004' on Amazon for $4.40. Also a new copy of 'Rick Stevens' Paris 2003' for $2.99 and 'Let's Go 2003: Paris' for $6.80.

california
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which guidebook is most helpful?

I found a copy of Rick Steves Paris 2005 via amazon.com for only 6.99 (retail 16.95) I had to pay $3 for shipping. The local library was used prior to that to decide which book I wanted and I also browsed at the bookstores. Amazon has great used book prices.

dallas, tx
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which guidebook is most helpful?

i got the "Let's go" series which is aimed towards budget travellers. it just shipped in today though... so i dunno how it is yet. but if you wanna wait a few weeks ill let you know

Rick steves has "walks" in each neighbourhood, and walks/tours of museums which i thought may make things more efficient... so i purchased the 2003 version for just a few bucks.

washington dc
Level Contributor
249 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which guidebook is most helpful?

Eyewitness or Fodors 'See It' are the ones I like. I would also recommend a map sold in Barnes and Noble made by 'Easy Maps'.

I used these maps on my trip to Rome, Venice and Florence and they are great for Hotels and Restaurants. Every place I chose from the map was a winner. They do not take any contributions from hotels or restaurants and I am not sure that the guide books can say the same....

I am headed to Paris for the first time in March...have fun!

Paris
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which guidebook is most helpful?

Without a doubt, I'd have to say Lonely Planet. It is not for nothing that they are taking over bookstore travel sections across the globe.

Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which guidebook is most helpful?

I like to buy several books on the places we go, and do my research in advance, like someone else said, each one give you a different perspective. Then I pick one, usually Eye Witness, to take on the trip to use as reference, although I normally leave it in the room as it is a little heavy. I also buy a good map -- I love Streewise maps, they are small (accordion folded - no intricate folding here) and covered with a plastic film so they can take the rain...it happens! Around $10. I also use "TripBuilder" www.tripbuilder.com -- they are cheap 20-something page pamphlets with brief descriptions of the major sites that are numbered and color coded according to categories. They also have a foldout map which shows the color coded numbers. The Streetwise map and the pamphlet are what I carry on my day bag. Hope this helps