We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agenda and Question

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
di2
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
463 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Agenda and Question

We are a couple in our late 40, spending 3 days in Paris at the end of June. We will be landing at CDG airport around 6:00AM on a Saturday.

Planning on taking the RER line B to Gare du Nord. We are landing in Terminal C, any suggestion on how to get to the RER from there?

First day:

Jet lagged, but will try to stay awake as long as possible and just get to bed early that night.

- Check in hotel near gare du nord(already booked)

- Metro to visit Notre Dame

- Boat ride on the Seine was thinking of vedettesdupontneuf not too far of a walk from Notre Dame.

- May keep walking around the Louvre if we are not too tired.

Second day:

- Organized tour to Versaille in the morning any recommendation?

- relaxe in the afternoon possible metro to Sacre Coeur in the afternoon.

- Illumination tour and possibly cruise in the evening. Any recommendation?

Third and final day :(

- Louvre for a good part of the day. Can we buy tickets ahead of time elsewere (ex:metro or gare du nord?)

- Possibly Eiffel tower we don't feel the need to line up and go up (done that before).

- In the evening a walk near the Seine on the left bank starting near Notre Dame and possibly all the way to the Eiffel tower!

Any suggestions to make this trip even more magical?

Thanks again everyone for the superb planning tips!

USA
Level Contributor
27,355 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Agenda and Question

>>>Planning on taking the RER line B to Gare du Nord. We are landing in Terminal C, any suggestion on how to get to the RER from there?<<<

When you exit the Luggage Collection area through the French Customs control point (seldom more than a nod & wave, if even that much 'formality') simply TURN RIGHT onto the main concourse and walk straight ahead for approx. 100 yards, across a glass-enclosed bridge until you bump into the SNCF/TGV/RER train station, attached to CDG #2-C. Then down two(2) levels on the wide escalators to the RER ticket kiosk, purchase your tickets (8 €uro--if you're making the purchase with a credit card, it's best NOT to use the vending machines--use the ticket agent) or passes, than down a half-flight of stairs to the RER train platforms for at least one usually waiting train. You can't make a mistake as to which train to take, since all the trains from here head for central Paris from here. Traind with 'P xxx' are 'locals' making a couple of stops before getting into Paris. Trains with 'K xxx' designators are 'express' which make their first stop at Gare du Nord. It really doesn't matter all that much which you take since there's only a 4 minute difference in travel times.

di2
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
463 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Agenda and Question

Thanks for the detail descriptio, but I made an error and it's terminal 3 not C... sorry.. Any instructions?

boston
Level Contributor
330 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Agenda and Question

I have been considering a trip to Versailles also but I thought it took much more time than just a morning. I'll be interested in the opinions you get about how long it takes to see Versailles.

di2
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
463 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Agenda and Question

kathyw, I'm doing all my bookings myself, but have a friend that is a travel agent. Versaille is one place you want to visit with a tour, since some of the chateau is only opened to tours. I have seen half days and full day tours. Since I'm only in Paris for 3 days I figure I could only spare 1/2 day :(

SFpeninsula
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Agenda and Question

Being in Paris such a short time, you may want to reconsider and not do Versailles this time.

It will take a big chunk out of your time.

Consider taking the boat ride on the Seine at

night.

If you are going over to Sacre Coeur, why not

visit the artist square right there at Monmartre

You might consider your walk along the Seine

first thing in the morning.

If you are going to Notre Dame, why not

check out St. Chapelle, it's 2 blocks away.

If your intertest in art dates pre 1850, the

Louvre is the place. If it's post 1850 then

by all means go to the D'Orsay; the impressionists are waiting for you

Whatever you do, ENJOY !

di2
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
463 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Agenda and Question

Randy_Silver_Photo, thanks for the input, I have visited Paris before but it will be a first for my spouse, so trying to balance the "must" with the I didn't get to do last time. I must admit 'the artist square right there at Monmartre' sound interesting? Would you have more details, ex: location.

Went to see some website regarding Versaille and it described a "chateau" type tour, yet someone mentionned that 'Versaille is you like arts'. Which is more accurate? Thanks

SFpeninsula
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Agenda and Question

di2,

Versailles is very much a chateau inside

and out (the great gardens, etc.). Inside

you will find great tapestries, furniture,

chandeliers and other beautiful art.

It takes some time to get there from Paris

and it can be very crowded as the tour buses

converge.

In terms of Monmarte, just continue walking

up behind Sacre Coeur and you can't miss it.

The easiest way to get to Sacre Coeur is to

leave the Metro and take the funicular car

up to Sacre Coeur. Metro tickets can be used.

Spend time walking around the artist square

and observe the artists working. If you

see a painting you like you will know that

it was painted by the person in front of you.

One of my great joys from Monmartre is

a small oil painting I purchased that

day. Being small it went in my suitcase

and I framed it when I arrived home.

Randy

boston
Level Contributor
330 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Agenda and Question

I went to a travel website that had some tours, including a few to Versailles. One tour drove you from your hotel door to Versailles and back but you only had an hour to really look around, unguided. Another tour was on bicycles and took 7 hours, including a stop to eat, and ride back. Finally, I went to the actual Versailles website and it had directions to take the train there and back. It is 5 minutes from the train stations, walking, according to them. They sell a package that includes the train and tours of Versailles with audio commentary. It was cheaper, it seemed, to go through the Versailles website. But they also have a 20 euro pass that gives you the whole day to explore everything and also includes the audio commentary. I'm trying to decide now with my travel companion if we should take a day to see Versailles. Looking at the website, which is pretty informative, it looks like a lot to see - and there are some things that looked interesting including their equestrian shows.

I'm booking everything myself too!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Agenda and Question

di & kathy ~> I too am booking everything myself and doing a lot of investigating as well. And plenty of learning. TA has amazing people who are willing to give great advice.

I couldn't imagine doing all the booking myself if I had no previous knowledge of what it was like to be in Europe.

di2
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
463 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Agenda and Question

Randy - Thanks for the tip, I think I will try to fit that one in. I'm always looking for painting that would be the best souvenir I could bring back!

Onward - I think we are doing the same travel cause I run into your post everywhere... When are you and your familly going?