We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions please... looking for affordable art!

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions please... looking for affordable art!

I'm hoping to come back from my 6-day stay in Paris in May with a small 'special' little painting to hang on my wall. I'll be travelling with my husband and two boys (aged 7 and 3), which will make any serious attempt at poring over art for hours impossible. I'm not even going to try it.

My budget is very limited about Euro 100-150, and I'd buy only if the work really appeals to me.

Based on the threads I've been reading, I've made some sense of the different kinds of art scenes. But still need to be pointed in the right direction.

I'm not looking for typical landscapes, sketches, portraits. So even though I'd walk through Place du Tertre for the vibe. I doubt I'd find what I'm looking for there. I'd probably shop at the stalls near the Notre Dame for trinket gifts not for paintings.

One TA member has recommeded, Rue des Beaux-Arts. I could go there when we spend time in St Germain, but I'm getting the sense that it may be beyond my budget.

I followed another recommended link about an artist Linda McCluskey, simply loved her work. But it's way beyond my budget.

The links to the galleries in Place des Vosges were interesting. But am I right in assuming, they are much more expensive.

I think Metromole and Phread have suggested the Saturday Art Market at Bastille. We'll be around there on the Hop On Hop Off that day. Could someone please let me know whether I might find something there in my budget - an interesting painting which doesn't have to be too touristy but will at least remind me of Paris.

Which of these places is the best place to browse. I can't do more than one, with the kids in tow.

Thanks.

Cheers :-)

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Place du Tertre
Place du Tertre
943 Reviews
Paris, France
Place des Vosges
Place des Vosges
5,149 Reviews
Paris, France
The Green Way
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours
1 Visit 4 You
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Original Food Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Driver-Guide-France
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,122 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions please... looking for affordable art!

there were a couple of photos matted in one frame at the Bastille art market that I wish I had bought for about 100E -- it seemed to pricey at the time, but they were really something I liked, shoulda gone for it

it is hit or miss -- but you have a fair shot of seeing something you might like

if it is little Paris scenes -- for tourists -- there are people who sell them here and there along the Seine --

the advantage of both Bastille and the Seine walks is that it will keep everyone else in the party entertained while you look (they can be eating ice cream cones or whatever)

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions please... looking for affordable art!

Thanks Janet :-)

I'll make some time for the Saturday Bastille art market. I really hope there are more works on display than I found on the official website for the market.

Cos I still haven't found what I'm looking for!

www.artistesparisbastille.fr/index.php?lng=en

Also, should I chance upon something I really like, is it acceptable to negotiate the price?

Thanks.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
201 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions please... looking for affordable art!

You might try the Marché de la Création in Montparnasse, too. http://www.marchecreation.com/le-marche.html

Mentioned in this post
Montparnasse
Montparnasse
1,094 Reviews
Paris, France
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions please... looking for affordable art!

You could try up by Place de Tertres, by Sacre Coeur. There are lots of nice little art shops up there. We bought some little oil paintings, and some other artwork that we did not see anywhere else, and it was a decent price.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions please... looking for affordable art!

Thx Parishoes and Suzanne.

@Suzanne... I'll look around Place due Tertre before going to Bastille.

@Parishoes... I hope I won't be missing some fab art in Marché de la Création in Montparnasse on this trip. We haven't planned to spend any time in that part of town. The days seem so packed already. But I can always hope there'll be a second and third Paris visit. There'll still be so much left to see.

Thx again.

Mentioned in this post
Montparnasse
Montparnasse
1,094 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
6. Re: Suggestions please... looking for affordable art!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 19:19