We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Metro passes / ComboPass

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
Paris Metro passes / ComboPass

London has the Oyster Card and the Travel card.

What are the equivalent cards for the Paris Metro/RER/Bus for tourists?

I'm going to be in Paris for 7 days in August with my family. (5 of us with 3 kids under 12). We arrive on a Friday via Eurostar and depart from CDG the following Friday.

We've never been to Paris before so we'll be doing the normal touristy things including a day trip to Versailles. We are staying in the Latin Quarter. We're not visiting Disney.

I was planning to get the Paris museum pass when I noticed the 6 day ComboPass at paris.conciergerie.com. Is this a good deal? Or is there something better directly from the local transit authority as in London?

Thanks

Edited: 29 March 2011, 03:56
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,556 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris Metro passes / ComboPass

your best bet for the trip you have planned is probably to just get carnets of 10 tickets i.e. 10 metro/bus tickets for 12 Euro. The 'combo pass' is just a bundle of passes you can easily buy yourself with a hefty fee added.

Your kids are adults for travel purposes on Paris public transport (although there are all day passes on weekends for youth and so if you are planning many trips, the kids getting those might make sense.

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris Metro passes / ComboPass

Excellent, thank you. Can these tickets be used on the RER as well?

And are they limited to central Paris?

How would you recommend getting to Versailles?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,417 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris Metro passes / ComboPass

There is nothing in Paris which compares to London´s Oyster Card.

You can purchase and share a booklet of 10 t+ tickets for 12€. These are valid anywhere the métro or buses go and on the RER among the stations in zone 1 (basically central Paris).

A better value might be the Navigo Découverte card. The card costs 5€ and is valid for any Monday through the following Sunday. A zone 1-2 ND card costs 18.35€. Wider coverage is available for additional cost.

Information is available here:

www.ratp.com

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris Metro passes / ComboPass

Thanks.

I did a bit of searching and found his page which basically summarizes everything you could want to know about Paris metro and museum passes.

Someone added a comment that you can purchase Paris metro tickets and the Paris museum pass in London at St Pancras station. Quite handy for those taking the Eurostar into Paris.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187147-c3012/Paris:F…

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris Metro passes / ComboPass

The Navigo smart card in Paris is somewhat similar to the Oyster but has its own advantages and annoying peculiarities. The Oyster appears economical with its off-peak fares but they are more expensive than all days fares in Paris, aren't they not?

it doesn't matter anyway as each town as its own specific card and one has to accept it.

Paris Navigo weekly:

zones 1-2 Euros 18,35 / zones 1-3 E. 23,85 / zones 1-4 E. 29,05 /

zones 1-5 E. 33,40 / zones 1-6 E. 37,60

London's Oyster loaded with weekly Travelcard:

zones 1-2 £27.60 / zones 1-3 £32.20 / zones 1-4 £39.40

zones 1-5 £47.00 / zones 1-6 £50.40

Oyster cap daily fares to £8.00 anytime and £6.60 in off peak hours in zones 1-2 but this is still way more expensive, for 7 days, that a weekly Travelcard

The advantage of Oyster cards for tourists is that one can buy them loaded with various amounts, from £ 10 to £ 50, and therefore can start them any day of the week but, as they are pay-as-you-go, are only economical if one only takes relatively few trips a day as, even with daily capping, the money runs like water in an open tap. .

London has 1 day paper passes--Travelcards--(from £ 8.00 in zone 1-2 to £15.00 in zones 1-6)

Paris has also paper passes (Mobilis) for 1 day (from E. 6.10 in zones 1-2 to E. 17.30 in zones 1-6)

In each town one must buy a new one each day...

The Oyster (like the Navigo it doesn' t work until it is loaded with some type of pass or ..) can be loaded with weekly / monthly passes--one for the Tube, one for trains etc.-- plus e-cash etc. while the Navigo can only be loaded with a weekly /monthly/ pass and is only good for the metro, not for the RER outside zone 1.

In other French towns the smart cards, like the Oyster, can be loaded with several single trip tickets, a weekly or monthly pass, a pass for commuter trains or buses etc.

London, Paris and other towns have yearly subscriptions (a monthly pass is cheaper if bought for 1 year) but that's another story.

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris Metro passes / ComboPass

I think the advantage of any of the smart cards (Oyster, Navigo, etc) from the tourist point of view is the ease of use and avoidance of dealing with individual tickets. Shame that the Navigo is really only a commuter card since the weekly duration is limited to Monday to Sunday.

Looks like a carnet of tickets it is...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris Metro passes / ComboPass

The Paris Visite Pass is designed for use by tourists for a set number of days, but of course it's more expensive than the ND. On the plus side, it does come with a lot of discounts that tourists might use and that may offset the cost, like the HOTO, the river cruise, some monuments, etc.

www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/c_21894/paris-visite/

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris Metro passes / ComboPass

Yes, you can purchase Paris metro tickets and museum passes at St Pancras but you will pay more than if purchased on arrival in Paris.

Yes, you can purchase carnets (packet of ten tickets) and share them. Note that children 4-10 years of age travel 1/2 price, so you'd want to purchase those tickets for them.

You must be very careful with tickets. Whether you ride the bus, metro, RER, everyone must keep their validated ticket until the end of the journey - until after you've left the station or gotten off the last bus (in the case of transfers).

It will be quite the challenge to keep adult/child and used/unused tickets separate, so you will want to devise some sort of system for doing so.

There are RATP inspectors whose sole job is to spot check tickets. If you cannot produce a properly validated ticket for that journey, there's a hefty on the spot fine.

Note that you would need to purchase separate tickets for Chateau Versailles.

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris Metro passes / ComboPass

Funny how those tickets seem to migrate from one pocket to another while you're on the train...

Hong Kong
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris Metro passes / ComboPass

I'm wordering about the Navigo Découverte card. i know the pass is for zone 1-2 for a week. but if i am going to Versailles or airport what can i do?? thanks