We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What luggage for traveling to Paris?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
747 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
What luggage for traveling to Paris?

We are stuck on what type of luggage and how many to bring for our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 daughters ages 12 & 15). Torn between bring 4 carryons or 2 large checkin luggage. It'll be summer clothing as we're going in mid-August.

What are you bringing as luggage on your Paris trip? Or, what has worked for you on past trips to Paris? Thanks in advance!

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.10*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,158 reviews
from US$108.20*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
573 reviews
from US$51.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$331.50*
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What luggage for traveling to Paris?

Well, if you're planning to use public transportation for airport transfers or make any trips by train with your bags, a good rule is that everyone has to be able to manage their own bags walking long distances and up/down double staircases.

Generally speaking, more smaller bags are better than fewer larger bags.

Most important is that the bags be sturdy to preclude the chance of wheels falling off, handles breaking, zippers not working.

Bags you're not planning to check can be of much lighter weight fabric, such as a rolling nylon duffle.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
747 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What luggage for traveling to Paris?

Thanks for your quick response. We have sturdy hard-case, lightweight Heys luggage. The large ones are the 4-wheel Xcases. The carryons are Heys rolling luggage.

We want a checkin so that it can carry our liquids - mostly my daughters' hair products (LOL) and razors.

Just wanted to know what worked for everyone.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What luggage for traveling to Paris?

so long as the luggage itself is lightweight...the last suitcase I looked at was touted by the salesperson as "only weighing 5 kg empty!) -- that's 11 pounds -- more than 20% of my total baggage allowance. No, thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,491 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What luggage for traveling to Paris?

Carry on liquids are restricted to bottles that contain 100ml or less and a half full 200ml bottle doesn't comply. And everything for one person needs to fit in a small ziploc bag

But you are coming to Paris. Buy hair product there and check one bag on the way home with all the new goodies in them.

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What luggage for traveling to Paris?

One manageable case per person is definitely better than two big cases.

I travel frequently to Paris and never carry bottles of hair/bath/shower stuff with me. It may cost more to buy them on arrival but to me it's worth avoiding the extra weight and hassle (especially after one time I had shampoo in my case and it emptied itself all over my clothes, yuk!)

Edited: 29 March 2011, 09:13
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What luggage for traveling to Paris?

Definitely better with four carry ons. You will get so much more in these cases than two big ones. Much easier to take on the metro and no check in luggage charges. You could divide your daughters hair products between you and my husband always takes a safety razor in his carry on....or how much does a razor cost in Paris? much less than check in fees.

See this recent thread for plenty of tips.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k420…

Denise

Love from England

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What luggage for traveling to Paris?

My rule of thumb for any trip anywhere : don't pack more than you can carry up a flight of stairs - or two.

Seeing that every member of your family can take car of his/her own luggage, take one small suitcase/bag per person, plus one handbag/backpack/pouch. If you need to keep bag/suitcase as on-board carryon, make sure to leave some room for handbag/etc. Some companies allow one unchecked bag and one handbag - but not all.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What luggage for traveling to Paris?

Don't forget to allow for space for purchases on your return trip.

Enjoy!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What luggage for traveling to Paris?

If she's old enough to be certain of her own death if she doesn't have her hair products, she's old enough to figure out what to do about it (carry on, small check-in, or...wow buy FRENCH shampoo to bring home! I won't tell her that Fructis is widely available here.)

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What luggage for traveling to Paris?

A lot depends on how long you are staying and will you be in a hotel or apartment with a washing machine. Last trip was for a month and we each had a 22" suitcase which we checked and a small carryon. We did however, have a washer and dryer in our apartment.