We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fashion question

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Fashion question

My wardrobe is very limited. ( I wear scrubs all week at work) Will I offend the locals if I don jeans and Tees while touring? I don't plan on this when out for an evening dinner, of course.

And what about capri length cargo pants? Cannot see myself running out to buy clothing that I would never wear here in the Florida heat.....................and for outerwear in Mid-May, any suggestions??.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fashion question

It's been said here before, and it bears repeating. Unless you're dressed pretty darned weirdly, no one (Really! No one!) cares what you wear. Wear what's comfortable for lots of walking. You'll see no end of jeans, tees and cargo pants, cropped or not.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,450 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fashion question

May is however as likely as not to be chilly -- we were there in mid-May last spring and it was cold -- we had to turn on the apartment heat -- so layers -- I like to have a long rain jacket or maybe a mid length trench that can serve as a light jacket and windbreak on a chilly day, as a raincoat (it rains lots in May -- mostly showers, occasionally a long soggy day, and that you can layer under. I always have Ts, turtles, polar tek cardigan and wind break layer and in May well have to use all of them at once, especially on an evening Seine cruise --

Jeans, particularly dark well fitted ones, are commonly warn by people of all ages.

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
155 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fashion question

Nancy, I'm from your area (home in 2 weeks) and I found that Chico's travelers black pants are easy to wear, wash and dry overnight and are light enough to wear to South Florida parties at night. No matter what you wear you will probably standout. Check www.streetpeeper.com and see what they are wearing in the streets of Paris and Milan.

Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fashion question

loved that link...coolbeans..BTW it's been HOT here in the south the past week (90's)

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,966 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fashion question

Just remember that there is "fashion," which connotes an understanding and regard for style, and then there is just dressing respectfully. I definitely fall into the latter category--jeans and comfortable leather walking shoes are good for me during the day. Black jeans and a nicer knit top work well when I'm not sure where I'll end up in my wanderings--but I want to feel confident that I look OK for lunch in a nice cafe. For dinner, dark slacks (I have used the Chico's Travelers) and a sweater, some costume jewelry or a scarf. I feel like I always satisfy any (even unspoken) dress code, but never that I'm making an impression, bad or good. So I'd say I'm never fashionable,and that I'm comfortable about my appearance in jeans--but I never pack my ratty ones, the ones I'd run to the grocery store in. I know Kerouac2 often posts pictures of "real" people in Paris wearing the equivalent of their ratty jeans, and so I'm sure it's OK, but I just wouldn't feel as comfortable as I do in a decent pair.

Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fashion question

Have a Chico's just down the street at our large mall, so will check out the pants there...........unless they are only online

Anyone know of some good cargo pants that have secure pockets on the thigh and lower leg?

I agree that there is a huge difference between being "fashionable" and respectful......I too fall into the latter category. My cruddy jeans will be left at home.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,450 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fashion question

cargo pants are not secure for anything but tissues, water bottles etc -- my BIL thought the 'secure' pocket on his would be great for his money and ID -- the little girl pickpocket had no trouble extracting this material without him noticing -- another metro passenger spotted the thief and he was able to get his wallet before it left the metro car --

inside jacket pockets are also not secure -- and backpacks are particular easy for pick pockets -- and of course backpockets and front pockets are not that great either

'travel pants' like those at Chico are polyester knits -- they travel beautifully and look decent -- I find them roughly like wearing a plastic bag especially in warm weather -- so I only travel with cotton as in black jeans and linen for warm weather

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fashion question

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I pretty much live in either shorts or cropped capri cargo style pants here - we are going to Paris in mid-September and I definitely also fall into the "not stylish, but respectful" category of clothing wearer.

So, yes, I will be bringing my capris and nice leather walking shoes that I bought for our trip last year (they were fab!) and I've already purchased a basic long sleeved shirt as well as non-patterned t shirt style tops.

Some exercise clothes for walks in the morning and the 10 mile race/walk that I'm participating in - a black fleece jacket and...shoots, I'm not sure about the umbrella question, because I know you would always be whacking someone with it if you used it.....so maybe a hat (oh no, hat hair yet again in Paris!!). Last year we had no rain in 2 weeks - just extreme cold...so I don't know if we'll be lucky enough in September to have no rain...doubt it.

Living here on Kaua'i - I'm so far from making any type of "fashion" statement except that of a beach bum - that it isn't even funny! lol

Malama Pono,

Janet

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fashion question

Just had a look at Streetpeeper...What a laugh. If people are wearing Dries van Notten coats with Prada skirts in a Paris street right now, it sure is not my street or any of those I walk daily.

Admittedly the Paris that tourists visit is more "chic" than my side of Paris, but on the other hand, most of people you'll see will be fellow tourists.

Visiting paris is not a fashion competition, and you'll stand out as too casual only if you dress like for the gym or aim for beach bum like Koloagirl.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,168 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fashion question

If Chico's clothing was as hot as you intimate, Janet, they'd never sell a stitch of anything in Florida. They're wildly popular there, though, so while it's fine that *you* don't care for them, suggesting that they're unbearable for everyone is just slightly extreme.

Nancy, the weather here is very changeable -- you're used to far higher humidity, but in May the evenings will be damp and generally very chilly.

Bring some layers -- a tee shirt and a light cardigan, for example, then a lightweight windbreaker-type jacket -- Beall's does some nice ones in a peached twill that would be just about right to keep you dry and to cut the breeze in the morning and evening.