We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First ever solo trip - is Paris a good idea?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow
Level Contributor
111 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
First ever solo trip - is Paris a good idea?

I seperated from my husband last year and when we were together we travelled a lot.

I now feel that it is time to take my first ever solo trip and I would really like to go back to Paris. Have visited many times but it has been a couple of years since my last visit.

Is it a good place to be a solo traveller? Any recommendations or tips you can give me?

I am thinking about going Easter wekend - will there be anything special going on then?

I have seen all the major sites before but they are so special that I dont mind seeing them all again. But if you have any hidden charms you can recommend I would be very interested.

My major concern about being alone is eating in the evening. Is there a certain type of place where a solo diner would be more at ease?

Many thanks for your help - my family think I am strange wanting to travel alone but I am really excited at the prospect

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
132 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First ever solo trip - is Paris a good idea?

My first solo trip was also to Paris, not totally by choice as I was there partly for work reasons but it was amazing and I had an incredible time. Part of the lovely thing about being in Paris alone is that you can really soak up the atmosphere and wander around endlessly by yourself, so I would really recommend it. I had no safety worries at all, as long as some common sense precautions were taken (e.g. I avoided the metro very late at night since many of them have long corridors which tended to be deserted then) and one was careful of where one kept their belongings. I did see most of the major sites, but spent far more time just wandering around various neighbourhoods, peering into little shops and markets and just taking it all in. I did not eat at restaurants but don't think there would be anything uncomfortable at all eating alone, but if you are uncomfortable perhaps picking small cafes or bistros would be better, or you could do picnics with a good book. I would definitely go for it!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
111 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First ever solo trip - is Paris a good idea?

Your trip sounds amazing and just the kind of experience I am looking for.

Think I will just wander around and see what happens - not plan too much

And I have just invested in a Kindle so will always have something with me to read!

Thank you

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First ever solo trip - is Paris a good idea?

Just like effloresce, my first solo trip was to Paris and it was magical. I am happily married and left my 2.5 year son at home with my husband, but I still had a wonderful time. I didn't feel uncomfortable eating alone because the staff made me feel welcome and I picked small bistros and cafes. I think it is a great way to see the city. One thing I wouldn't recommend doing by yourself is to go up the Eiffel Tower. there were many couples there and I definitely felt out of place by myself. One Spanish couple was practically dry-humping in the line, in the elevator, and on the viewing deck. The only time I felt like I wished my husband was there...

Glasgow
Level Contributor
111 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First ever solo trip - is Paris a good idea?

Will give the Eiffel tower a miss then! Thanks

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First ever solo trip - is Paris a good idea?

Dear Dreid

I was apprehensive before my first solo trip a few years ago, but it was something I wanted to experience. I found solo travelling so empowering that I now make it an annual event.

I am basically a shy person and find it difficult to strike up conversations with strangers, but strangers (other tourists)often strike up conversations with me. Having said that , I am quite happy with my own company and don't need to talk to anyone.

I had no need to worry, Paris is a wonderful place for a solo trip, single women are accepted every where and nobody takes a second glance.

At first I felt a bit uncomfortable eating alone, but then I relaxed when I realised that other diners were more interested in themselves, their food and each other than me. The waiting staff seem, to me, to be more attentive to solo diners than couples or groups.

I always take a book, and a journal to write in, but now rarely read it, as I am too busy watching what is going on around. I try to get tables by the window so I can also look outside.

One advantage is that you can often get a table for one easier than a table for two or a group.

For events I find this site very useful.

…angloinfo.com/information/whatsontoday.asp

I also think the internet and sites like this are a great way of communicating with the outside world and sharing the trip when you are alone.

Just a word about male attention to solo women, which is rarely mentioned on this forum,

If you have come out of a long relationship or are happily married a woman, like me you may have lost the skill of recognising and rejecting unwanted advances .

The first time it happened I was mortified! I had gone into a cafe to listen to the Karaoke and was approached by a very young man. It never occurred to me that he may be interested in a woman of my age, as this would not happen in the UK. Apparently I am told, some young French men often have a "thing" about " women of a certain age".

I had no idea how to handle the situation and ended up totally over reacting and running out of the cafe.

Of course I laugh about it now and actually should have found it very flattering, but I was frightened to death. My error was not recognising his intentions in the first place.

I hope you have a wonderful trip and learn about yourself as I do.

As others have said the freedom to get up when you want, go to bed when you want and wander around without having to answer to somebody else is wonderful.

You will come home with renewed confidence wether you love it or hate it.

Denise

love from England

Glasgow
Level Contributor
111 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First ever solo trip - is Paris a good idea?

Thanks Denise

I think I would have reacted the same as you did when approached by the young man. I wouldnt have know how to deal with that situation!

I am in my late 30's but was in a relationship for a very long time and am now just looking forward to experiencing the world on my own.

I think I will find it very empowering and think that Paris is the perfect place to go.

You have given me the confidence to do it so I am going to book my flights today!

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First ever solo trip - is Paris a good idea?

I had plans to travel to Paris alone, but I am dragging my oldest daughter with me. I promise to reimburse a week of her wages, after taxes. I am use to traveling alone in the USA, but alone to Paris seemed so "alone."

I will have to get use to it due to the fact that I am separated and most of my friends can't up and join me.

Let us know how you trip went. I don't want to miss out on traveling the world because I am alone.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
111 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First ever solo trip - is Paris a good idea?

I feel the same Southernguy.

I have always loved travelling and dont want to stop just because I am on my own

My husband always chose the places we travelled to and now I can decide for myself

For me Paris is only a couple of hours away but for you it is the other side of the world so I guess thats why it seemed as if you would be alone. But Im sure you would have loved it

But even better - you get to experience it with your daughter

Hope we both have an amzing time!

Cambs
Level Contributor
177 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First ever solo trip - is Paris a good idea?

Do go up the Eiffel Tower if you want to. It's not restricted to just couples you know!

Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First ever solo trip - is Paris a good idea?

WHAT???? skip the Eiffel Tower because of the romantic couples there? Don't be foolish! If that's the case, skip a ride on the Seine...avoid dinners in bistros etc. You may as well stay in your hotel room or pick Disney World instead.......................I am divorced, solos and LOVE traveling alone. I can go where I want, when I want and stay as long or as little as I want. there is NO greater freedom and pleasure for me.

I will be in Paris ALONE and will love every minute of the time I have to wander, relax and mingle as little or as much as I please. I might add that I have gone all over the world on my own and have never felt unsafe. Use good judgement for safety and most of all HAVE FUN

Edited: 02 April 2011, 12:17