We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giverny vs Versailles

Berlin, CT
Level Contributor
20 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Giverny vs Versailles

My husband and I will be in Paris for a week,April 10-17th. Was thinking of a day trip to Versailles, hoping it will not be too crowded this time of year-any thoughts? Or was also considering Monet's home, but fear the gardens might not be too colorful yet, any thoughts? I've been to Versailles, but about 30 yrs ago, husband never. I know these are two opposites, but have to choose one. Thanks for any input.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,686 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Giverny vs Versailles

we didn't manage Giverny until our 10th grip to Paris -- Glad we went, I am sure it is gorgeous in April (their web site will tell you what is in bloom) but I think it is a lesser destination than Versailles. I don't need to do either again, but would choose Versailles if I could only do one, because, well, it IS Versailles.

the gardens at Monet's home were crowded and fading a bit when we were there this summer, but it is lovely and well worth doing once.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,611 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Giverny vs Versailles

EVERYTHING is rushing for its chance to bloom right now. The ornamental cherries are already gone, the daffodils are beginning to fade, the tulips are in full glory, the magnolias and fruiting cherries and apples and peaches and plumbs are all dancing in clouds of pink and white -- there's no lack of anything blooming right now.

Edited: 04 April 2011, 22:20
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,815 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Giverny vs Versailles

Both are wonderful but Versailles would be my first choice -- more than a palace with gardens, it served as an inspiration to many foreign monarchs and not only, and the art works inside are magnificent.

Edited: 04 April 2011, 22:36
ireland
Level Contributor
976 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Giverny vs Versailles

If I had a week I'd do both.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,611 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Giverny vs Versailles

All depends on your interests -- Versailles has history, a spectacular palace, and the vast, formally designed gardens (you'll find yourself wondering how they got perfectly square corners out of an evergreen shrub).

Giverny is the embodiment (because it was the setting) of so many of Monet's wonderful paintings, and a truly lovely day wandering amongst the flowers tumbling through all of the beds in riots of colors and shapes.

There's not really much comparison, but they're both wonderful and worthy of a visit.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Giverny vs Versailles

Giverny is beautiful this time of year. If you love Monet, or gardens, then you must go.

Versailles is bigger than life. If you are interested in the history, then go there, fer sure. The Hall of Mirrors is where so many famous things happen (yes, more than just the Treaty at the end of WWI) (And stop at the Tennis Court on your way to the Chateau.)

If you prefer something more "human scale" -- Giverny.

We loved both. But we went back to Giverny again on our second trip.....

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Giverny vs Versailles

I would try to do both, but if I could only do one, it would be Giverny. Versailles requires the better part of a day and with only one week, I would do an early morning in Giverny and be back in Paris for the afternoon.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Giverny vs Versailles

Either would make a splendid outing but they are indeed very different. Perhaps you could just leave the decision until you are in Paris and make your choice almost as your mood and the weather dictate. Neither would be much fun in driving rain but Giverny really does demand a dry and preferably sunny day. Versailles is almost as splendid when it is cloudy as it is in sunlight and even the occasional shower is not the problem there that it could be at Giverny. You are indoors much of the time at Versailles. Giverny is a much more relaxing day trip IMO if that makes any difference to you.

In theory it takes less time to visit Giverny. In practice the timing of the trains makes it difficult to get back to Paris before mid-afternoon.

Berlin, CT
Level Contributor
20 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Giverny vs Versailles

thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. I guess i will indeed see what the weather brings for the week, and then decide. Sounds like either one would be excellent.

10. Re: Giverny vs Versailles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 10:24