We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Printemps Tax Refund. Please help.

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Printemps Tax Refund. Please help.

I bought a jacket and paid full price with credit card (265 eur) at Printemps on March 15, then I went to the tax refund desk in the store and they gave me 12% refund in cash (29 eur). Then they handed me pink forms that was supposed to be stamped and mailed at the customs at CDG. When I arrived at the departure area of CDG, I don't see any Customs so I skipped the process and headed to Passport control and flown back home.

Does that mean they're gonna charge my credit card for the refund amount that i already got in cash? I read the fine print, it looks like I have 3 months from the date of purchase. I still have the forms and envelope though but it wasn't stamped by EU Customs as mentioned. Can I just mail it back from USA?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Printemps Tax Refund. Please help.

Sorry to say, you must return the STAMPED form.

Australia
Level Contributor
374 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Printemps Tax Refund. Please help.

Hi

I'm not quite sure from your post what your question is.

Is this right - Your credit card has been debited with 265 euros, and you have received 29 euros in cash.

So this means the net cost of the jacket has been 236 euros. Why would Printemps debit your card for any less than 265 euros - if they did, you would get even more than the 12% refund?

It was my understanding that the tax refunds for travellers were only paid on leaving the country (or afterwards) and not with cash discounts at the store.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,968 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Printemps Tax Refund. Please help.

If you did not get the form stamped, then it is not acceptable for getting a refund. There is now nothing that you can do. Your card will be charged the €29 by Printemps in due course.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Printemps Tax Refund. Please help.

Hmm. Guess I'm out of luck then. Thank you guys for your reply!

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Printemps Tax Refund. Please help.

Suzannah:

Please read some of the other posts -- stores do not charge the tax that will be refunded. But you have to file the forms properly. The OP did not do that. So, she will see the additional charge put on her credit card.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,435 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Printemps Tax Refund. Please help.

This is an interesting read as I was never aware that the store would give you the refund back on the spot. Usually, you have to go get your papers stamped at the airport and either claim the refund there or mail the forms back.

7. Re: Printemps Tax Refund. Please help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 15:19