We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moulin Rouge - Any Advice?

Washington, D.C.
11 posts
Save Topic
Moulin Rouge - Any Advice?

Good evening,

My husband and I will be in Paris for 3 nights and were thinking of spending one at the Moulin Rouge (www.moulinrouge.fr). Does anyone have any experience with this show or any opinions on whether this is a good buy? Also, should we have dinner there or somewhere else before the show? If dinner with Moulin Rouge is recommended, any thoughts on which of the dinners is the best value / quality (there are three options)?

Thank you very much for your help!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
503 Reviews
from US$72.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,184 Reviews
from US$108.80*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
790 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
628 Reviews
from US$73.80*
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moulin Rouge - Any Advice?

I think you will find vastly differing opinions about the Moulin Rouge. My husband and I went a few years ago, and we both thought it was a hugely overpriced, cheesy tourist trap.

The other thing that really disturbed me about it was the fact that we were crammed in there like sardines. We were seated elbow to elbow with a few other couples at the very back of the place, and once we were led to our seats, they put up small tables on the stairs up there and seated people there. To be honest, I was a bit panicky thinking if there were ever a fire, we would be gonners. And once you're seated, you weren't moving.

If you do decide to go, I would suggest making sure you have used the restroom and don't need to get up for any reason during the show.

The show itself to me was a fromage fest. Canned music, and with the exception of a brief can-can at the end, the dancing is mostly just the beautiful women walking in the huge contraptions attached to their backs.

The acts that performed between the musical numbers, like the acrobats and magicians had more entertainment value in my opinion.

As mentioned though, although we weren't fans, there are still plenty of people who are. If you feel it's something you must do, then go. But lower your expectations!

Have a great trip.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moulin Rouge - Any Advice?

Agree with previous poster, a tacky tourist trap. If you must go, don't dine, the food and the service is lousy and not worth what you pay.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,337 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moulin Rouge - Any Advice?

If you use the search box on this page and enter Moulin Rouge, you will be able to locate and read many previous threads on the topic about "whether it's worth it or not." It's an individual decision, obviously. My daughter really wanted to go, and even tho she found the show disappointing, she's glad she's had the experience of going. I agree with the other posts that you should not attend the dinner show. (In fact, we went to the late show, which I believe was about 11:30. That way, we had already had our full day in Paris. It ended up not being a feeling of "I wasted my evening" because we wouldn't have been doing too much else at that time.)

If you and your husband enjoy nightlife, there are lots of other things to do, tho, so if you're not passionate about attending the MR, then get a good guidebook and read about options. Recently on TA, I've read a lot about Trois Mailletz , which is where I plan on going for my next trip to Paris:

And use the search box here to get previous threads re Trois Mailletz.

Edited: 14 April 2011, 15:23
Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moulin Rouge - Any Advice?

Besides everything else all the reports indicate that the food at the MR is mediocre and over-priced. Save the money for a really good dinner and head to Las Vegas for a show some other time.

Meanwhile for a night out without all the tourist trap connotations check out Aux Trois Mailletz on rue Galande in the 5th — or just take a romantic stroll along the Seine after dinner.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Moulin Rouge - Any Advice?

If you don't mind more nudity that at the MR, for the same price I had much rather go to the Crazy Horse saloon, at 12 Avenue George V (8th district)

price: 70 Euros to 120 Euros per person..

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moulin Rouge - Any Advice?

We purchased a dinner/show package. Show was all right to us. Dinner could have been better.

new york
Level Contributor
3,244 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moulin Rouge - Any Advice?

I went to the show 2 nights ago. I was disappointed with it because I thought that it was overpriced and really nothing special. However, some of the teenagers we were with really loved it. I too thought that the acts that appeared in between the dancers were the best part of the show. I am glad I went to experience it but I wouldn't go back.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moulin Rouge - Any Advice?

Hi there. The Moulin Rouge is touristy and unashamedly so but, it's the Moulin Rouge. It's "cheesy" but that sits well with me because I'm a tourist - and it's okay to do the "touristy" things. I'd regret (that's a personal thing) that I'd flown all that way and not seen it.

Kind Regards

Stateline, Nevada
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moulin Rouge - Any Advice?

We just got back from Paris and we did not go to the Moulin Rouge. We walked by it and took a picture. The neighborhood is very much like Broadway in San Francisco, sex shops and sex shows. There are so many great restaurants and cafes in Paris, I cannot imagine spending an evening in that place. Especially if you only have 3. Have a great dinner and then take a stroll along the Seine.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moulin Rouge - Any Advice?

I agree with you Merran, I've just booked 2 tix for me and my hubby in May, booked an 11pm show with 1/2 bottle wine (I'll drink my hubbys too !!) but I think you do certain things and you can say "been there!".....I went to Disneyland in USA and I also wouldn't go back again but am happy I did it.....off the bucket list so to speak!