We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance from St. Michel-Notre RER to Pont de la Tournelle?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
158 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Distance from St. Michel-Notre RER to Pont de la Tournelle?

Two adults, two teenagers each with a rollerboard and backpack/ other small bag: would it be difficult to use the RER from CDG and then walk to this bridge? Our vacation stay is right off this bridge and on the left bank. I have tried to ascertain the distance from the RER site and maps, unfortunately I am away and using a tiny laptop and can't get a map big enough to tell!

Also, is this the line that is notorious for pickpockets? I have no problems with the cost of a taxi, I just hate sitting in traffic and our flight arrives at rush hour on a Friday morning.

Many Thanks!

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance from St. Michel-Notre RER to Pont de la Tournelle?

Pont de tournelle is walkable form the Notredame St Michel RER station.Mybe 10-15 minutes depending how fast you walk.

I have used RERB many times without seeing any incidents, it is safe, and usually comfortable to ride fulll of travellers and if you are aware of your surroundings you should be OK.

There is the occasional busker, ignore them or pay them it is up to you. I quite like the music, it is a "welcome to Paris" for me.

This question will now provoke lots of replies re pickpockets in Paris , safety , moneybelts etcetc..... remember millions of Parisiens and tourists travel the Paris travel system each year without incident..

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance from St. Michel-Notre RER to Pont de la Tournelle?

Taxis have exclusive traffic lanes now.

Edited: 14 April 2011, 20:00
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
158 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance from St. Michel-Notre RER to Pont de la Tournelle?

Thank you very much for the replies. I didn't know about the special lanes. I have spent up to two hours getting from CDG to Montparnasse and thought longingly of the train many times!

Hmm,. Have to think about it now.

BTW, no offense meant with regard to the pickpocket question. I just remember that one of the train stations had a pretty bad reputation and we will be jetlagged. I know Paris to be a pretty safe place as long as you use your head and watch your stuff.

Thanks again!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,707 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance from St. Michel-Notre RER to Pont de la Tournelle?

Very easy to find answers to distance questions... simply use http://maps.google.com and select the 'directions' option.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,070 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Distance from St. Michel-Notre RER to Pont de la Tournelle?

people going about their business in Paris are not usually carrying their passports, large amounts of cash, all their credit cards and ID, and are not just fresh off an overnight flight

one is always at risk of pickpockets if one has things easily available to steal -- so make sure you don't -- at the airport, on the train, anywhere

with so many people, a cab becomes cost effective

but the RER is also easy and safe to use

6. Re: Distance from St. Michel-Notre RER to Pont de la Tournelle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 07:17