We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Helene Darozze?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Helene Darozze?

My husband, who rarely plans anything in advance, just booked a reservation for the dining room here for our trip in July. What little I can find on it gives it one or two Michelin stars, but very mixed reviews. Any recent reports on this?

My husband is fluent in French and loves fine dining, so maybe he's finding something on French websites that is more glowing?

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Helene Darozze?

Michelin reviews restaurants every year and for now, she has 1 star. I don't know what the mixed reviews are that you've read. I also don't know what you expect. But I can tell you that her food is very, very good. I enjoyed my linch in her restaurant several years ago, and I return to her bar for lunch evry now and again.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Helene Darozze?

The reviews here on TA are very mixed, with quite a few negative reviews. That doesn't bother me that much, since that happens a lot, particularly with luxury hotels and restaurants. But even on chowhound, I found very little about the restaurant, and what I did find was not very complementary. (I haven't gone back yet to see if it's just the same person making those few comments.)

I think I'm just bothered a bit by being able to find so little about it in English (although I did just start looking this afternoon). From what I could find so far, the dining room seems to be one fixed price, many-course menu, with no a la carte - is that true? We do like inventive gourmet cuisine, unusual flavor combinations, and smaller portions, but I'm not as open to unusual meat parts - loin or leg of lamb served with inventive flavor combinations, yes, lamb testicles or intestines, no. So the lack of choice is of some concern.

I would love to hear others experiences and impressions of this restaurant.

Edited: 19 April 2011, 00:45
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Helene Darozze?

phread - I neglected to thank you for your comments. It is reassuring to hear good things about the restaurant.

New York
Level Contributor
266 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Helene Darozze?

I looked on my favorite French restaurant website, restoaparis.com, and the reviews were not glowing.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Helene Darozze?

I feel a bit better after reading some glowing reviews on Zagat from some people whose reviews of other restaurants I've been to were similar to my take on those spots. However, the number of critical reviews is disturbing.

One thing that may make a difference - my husband assumes that there would be an a la carte menu, not just the E125 minimum tasting menu, although I've seen no reference to one. Does anyone know for sure?

6. Re: Restaurant Helene Darozze?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 06:17