We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Vélib rates

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
New Vélib rates

For those of you who want to use the Vélib bike system in Paris, the rates have just gone up.

The daily rate is now 1.70€ instead of 1€.

The weekly rate is 8€ instead of 5€.

However, there is a new innovation which should solve the "American problem" (no chip & PIN). The "Vélib Visit" system allows you to prepay your temporary tickets over the internet (including the non-debited 150€ guarantee) with your Visa or Master Card. You'll receive your "ticket number" by email, and then the last formality is to validate the "terms and conditions" the first time you use a bike station.

You will pay absolutely nothing more for using the bikes as long as you respect the 30-minute time limit. Be very careful hitching the bike to a post when you return it and ALWAYS wait for the green light and double beep. For added security, you can ask the station machine for a return confirmation ticket.

The Vélib website is : velib.paris.fr

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
489 reviews
from US$73.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
584 reviews
from US$51.80*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.10*
US$335.60
nashville, tn
Level Contributor
117 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Vélib rates

thank you kerouac2, the velib system is one of my "favorite things" about Paris.

Selfishly, I hope the new access does not create a wave of tourists using the system.

Paris
Level Contributor
643 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Vélib rates

There is also a new annual subscription option where you can pay 39 € for the year and your basic time unit with no additional charge will be 45 minutes. The 30 minute unit cost remains at 29 € for the year.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Vélib rates

Thank you, Kerouac. Well timed! We'll be able to use that in a few weeks.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,914 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Vélib rates

Perhaps an obvious question, but do the bikes come in different sizes? I'm short (5'2') and often have trouble here in the States when I travel and want to rent a bike and can't find a small-enough one. Looking forward to my next Paris trip later in the year.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Vélib rates

The bikes are all the same size but the seats are adjustable.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
807 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Vélib rates

I believe I read on here that after you return a bike, you can take another if you wait a certain amount of time [from the location where you returned]. Is that correct and if so, how long must you wait? Thank you.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Vélib rates

You only have to wait about 3 minutes.

Another thing to know is that if you discover that you have a defective bike, if you put it right back at the same station, you don't have to wait at all to take another one.

Huahine, French...
Level Contributor
757 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Vélib rates

Thanks so much for your post kerouac.

When I first visited Paris 2 yrs ago, not knowing how it worked, I tried in vain to rent a bike during my solo sojourn but my cc's didn't work. Now with your help, I can finally ride a Velib...YAY!!!

9. Re: New Vélib rates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 23:15