We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Paris

Two of my girlfriends and I are visiting Europe in July and spending 4 nights in Paris after visiting Italy. Was wondering whether a day trip to London is recommended as we have never been before. We planned on spending a day in Euro Disney as well, not sure whether to skip Euro Disney and rather go to London. Also what is the cost of the hop on hop of buses in London. Any suggestions? This is our first trip to Europe.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,937 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Paris

i highly recommend you stay in Paris & use your time to explore a little more. Paris is a huge city & you will need more time... with 4 nights you are only just scratching the surface.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
132 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Paris

A day in London will not be very much time to see much at all in London, at the most it will only be a tiny taste of it. But on the other hand 4-5 days is not long at all in Paris either. Seeing as you're on this forum, most of the responses you're probably going to be getting will be in favour of spending all 4-5 days in Paris, especially as some time will be taken to arrive and leave from Paris which leaves you with about 4.5 days at best in Paris itself. Personally I would stay the entire time in Paris, BUT if London is something you really want to do and you are unlikely to be able to come back to Europe soon (certainly always a concern for me) then a day might be warranted. If you do pick London, I would suggest getting an early train in and a very late train back from London, to maximize your time there. I would not pick Euro Disney, personally. Either spend all your time in Paris or London if it's really a must-see for whatever reason. But don't do London if you're just curious or ambivalent imo.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Paris

I did a similar thing the last time I went to Paris. We spent 3 days in Paris, after 2 flights from Edmonton, Canada. On our last full day, we took an early train to London, did a hop on, hop off, walked to the palace, lucky to have caught sight of the queen twice, then caught a late train back to Paris.

We did this tour: theoriginaltour.com/tour_information/page_10…

I feel it was worth the price, we saw the major sites and plan on returning but this time we know what we want to see more of thanks to the tour.

Your schedule is packed, but it is doable, with some time to relax for a glass of wine in a park. I have alot of energy, and my husband managed to keep up with me. However, this was my 3rd trip to Paris, and London, so I was familiar with alot of the sights, and how to use the metro.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Paris

Four nights in Paris means three full days. You plan to spend one of those visiting Disneyland Paris (not Euro Disney incidentally...) and are considering a day trip to London. Three days will not allow you any more than the quickest of visits to the principal museums, monuments and other attractions in Paris without any side trips.

It's your call but I would suggest that you leave DLP and probably London for another trip.

FYI July Eurostar tickets have been on sale for several weeks already and the least expensive tickets will already have sold out for many trains and dates. If you are seriously considering making this trip you should check the fares and probably book your travel ASAP at www.eurostar.com

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Paris

I would skip DLP if I were you. As far as the day trip to London, I would do it if you want to. I live by the motto to try and not save too much "for the next trip". As depressing as it sounds, there may not always be a next trip (Although hopefully there will be one!!) After living in London for over 5 years, my dad vowed to return one day. He has yet to do it, and it's one of his biggest regrets. One day in London will certainly not allow you to see all the sights, but doing a HOHO tour should give you a good overview. Likewise, only a few days in Paris will not allow you to see all the sights there either, but a compromise between the two cities might suit you and your friends well.

It's all about what's important to you though, since afterall, it is your trip! I think any of us could spend unlimited amounts of time in any one place discovering and experiencing a new city, but you have to decide what's important for you to see! Break out a map of each place and plan a rough itinerary of what you would like to see in each place. If your list for Paris far exceeds the list for London, then spend your time in Paris. Make sure that you and your friends plan a trip that suits yalls interests, and not necessarily the interests of others.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,900 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Paris

I'm in the "Skip Disney, go to London" group :-) Actually, I 100% agree with everything that spring900 outlined!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Paris

Thanks for all the comments. Think we will skip DLP and spend more time in Paris. Really only have 3 days in Paris so should make the most of it.

8. Re: Day trip to Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 00:17