We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris or Paris + Nice in March 2012

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Paris or Paris + Nice in March 2012

Never ever been to Europe but we're saving up and determined to take our first trip in 2012 with our 11 year old son. We have to plan around the school year, so it's either spring break or summer, and spring break looks more affordable. We're looking at either 6 nights in Paris, or 3 nights each in Paris and Nice (through European Destinations.) For first-timers, which trip should we do? What are the advantages/disadvantages of traveling to Paris and Nice in March?

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris or Paris + Nice in March 2012

I suggest staying the entire six nights in Paris. If you want you can do a day trip or two. Nice in March (to me) is not a good time to visit weather-wise.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris or Paris + Nice in March 2012

Even if you fly you will lose most of a day getting from Paris to Nice. If you are flying home form Paris you will lose most of another day getting back to Paris.

There is way more than enough in Paris to keep you VERY busy for six nights, effectively five days.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris or Paris + Nice in March 2012

I agree with staying in Paris - in addition to a regular guide book or two, get a guide to Paris with/for young people and a map of the city. You'll find them invaluable for planning.

Puget Sound
Level Contributor
908 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris or Paris + Nice in March 2012

Paris.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
605 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris or Paris + Nice in March 2012

Hi,

I just finished preparing my daily itinerary for my 6 days in Paris. Let me tell you, there is a lot to see and do. I wish I would have planned for a few more days but I have a flight to Venice on the 7th day already booked. Anyways, I am travelling this July with my teenaged daughter and I would not even consider splitting up my 6 days with Nice or any place other than a day trip, perhaps to Versailles which we are doing.

Happy planning,

Ashland, Kentucky
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris or Paris + Nice in March 2012

Definitely Paris! There are so much things to discover in Paris, 3 nights isn't enough. Plus, there isn't a lot to do in Nice, in March, as the weather can be cold.

perth wa
Level Contributor
120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris or Paris + Nice in March 2012

I agree with everyone else,we did Paris and Nice last year but it was June so it was warmer in Nice. We stayed 4 nights in Paris and then flew to Nice for four nights. Paris has so much to do, thats why we are returning in a few weeks for a second visit, whereas Nice is a seaside place and if the weather isn't good you may find it hard to find something to do for all of you. Enjoy your stay in Paris and save the south of France for a warmer time of year.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris or Paris + Nice in March 2012

I would agree that on a short independent trip to Paris there is probably no point in visting another place - unless you are really keen. However, the OP is taking about an organised tour which would different again

March in Nice, the weather can be and often is lovely and sunny from about 11am to 4pm, esp if you are in a sheltered spot but cold in the shade and night. Weather is almost certainly going to be better than weather in Paris

Nice isn't really a beach place -it does not shut down in winter and the beach is not the main attraction, though it does have an immense bay/promenade There are about 20 museums/art galleries [all but 2 free entry] , a mediaeval old town, several natural parks , various viewpoints, botanic gardens,roman remains, Belle epoque and art deco, loads of baroque churches etc etc.

Also in march it is easy to take a bus to the ski resorts for 1 euro [local bus] or 8 euros round trip [express ski bus]. Easy access to other places on the coast and inland by cheap public transport [monaco, cannes, antibes, st paul de vence, ventimiglia/italy etc etc ]

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
621 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris or Paris + Nice in March 2012

I would vote for staying in Paris, many day trip options if you want to get out of Paris city proper. Losing a day traveling to Nice along with the jet lag you will be just getting over would be a shame in my opinion, plus there is so much to do in Paris that you would miss a lot by leaving after only 3 days.

My 2 cents ;-)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris or Paris + Nice in March 2012

Oh, Paris, Paris, Paris -- 6 days is barely enough to get your feet wet in this wonderful city. And, as others have said above, any day of travel, no matter how short it is projected to be, loses you a whole day. Your trip is too short for that. Savour Paris this time and save Nice, for another time.

Nice is a wonderful city as well, again, as well said above, and a great jumping off point to see many other things along the Cote d'Azur mmmm Luscious!

Another 2 cents!