We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air France carry-on weight restrictions - say it isn't so!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
129 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Air France carry-on weight restrictions - say it isn't so!

Just starting to pack for our trip. I avoid checking luggage at all costs and am planning my usual 21" roller with a large "hand"bag (a designer "It" bag from ages ago - it's large and no longer stylish to carry out and about, but perfect for travel).

I haven't flown Air France in years and just looked at their carry-on restrictions - max for BOTH items is 26.5 lb/12 kg!!!! My usual carrier, Delta, has a more typical 50 lb max for JUST the carry-on bag. I have never packed enough into one carry-on to max out at 50lb, but 26.5 lb for 2 bags for an intercontinental trip just doesn't seem reasonable to me.

We booked through Delta and have a Delta connection before hooking up with the codeshared AF flight, if that makes any difference. How has your experience been with the carry-on weight restriction?

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
628 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air France carry-on weight restrictions - say it isn't so!

We flew Air France last year, with only carry on and large purse, they didn't weigh our bags as far as I remember... our carry on's look a bit smaller so maybe didn't trigger a look? though I do think we weighed them at home and they were in the limits. Do weigh yours you may be surprised that you are o.k. Wear the heaviest stuff on the plane, you don't have to pack your coat, book to read, (my understanding) etc... if that helps.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,856 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air France carry-on weight restrictions - say it isn't so!

they are enforcing it more and more stringently with every flight I take.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air France carry-on weight restrictions - say it isn't so!

"but 26.5 lb for 2 bags for an intercontinental trip just doesn't seem reasonable"

It is quite reasonable because that's just for carry-on, one can also check luggage in -- up to 23 kg at no extra charge.

I usually pack most important items into my hand luggage just in case the rest gets delayed or lost. And, unless it's just a weekend or day trip, I always check-in a suitcase... never know what I might buy and need to bring back.

On our latest trip to Paris, it is only when I started packing late into the night that I realised just how heavy our cases would end up... a good thing I initially had that extra space... and we needed to carry DDs prom dress separately.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,961 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air France carry-on weight restrictions - say it isn't so!

Are you sure you are understanding the concept of "carry on"? They certainly wont let you try to lift 26kg into the overhead lockers.

Voyageur / Economy

Your baggage allowance in the Voyageur cabin

* 1 standard baggage item that respects the following maximum dimensions:

55 cm (l) x 35 cm (w) x 25 cm (h) – including pockets, wheels, and handles

* Please note: (1 suit bag is considered a standard bag)

* 1 accessory (handbag, notebook computer, camera, etc.)

* Maximum total weight (standard baggage + accessory): 12 kg/26.5 lb

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,111 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air France carry-on weight restrictions - say it isn't so!

I second the suggestion to weigh your bag. When I went to Paris in November (meaning that I had some heavy clothes packed), my check-in suitcase weighed under 50 pounds. So you might be pleasantly surprised that your carry-on isn't as heavy as you think.

Still, the spirit of the law is that carry-on luggage should truly be carry-on size and weight, not actually check-in sized "portions" that have been packaged to disguise as carry-on. I totally understand wanting to avoid checking bags, but that means cutting down and traveling pretty lightly.

Edited: 09 May 2011, 15:22
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
129 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air France carry-on weight restrictions - say it isn't so!

Tufy: thanks for posting your experience. I can only wear one pair of jeans at a time, and the other pair is probably my heaviest item.

Sunshine: do you check in directly with AF agents? I'm checking in first through Delta and I wonder if the AF gate agent for the long flight is going to give me grief.

innaMontreal: as I said in my OP, I do not intend to check any baggage, allowance or not. And therefore I most certainly want to avoid gate-side check-in.

WizardofAus: I certainly understand the concept of carry-on, since that is all I ever do (see above and OP). I too read the guidelines and referenced them. I also said that I have never packed a carry-on that weighs 50 lb (not sure where the 26 kg comes in, but I assume that is what you're referencing).

mcal3K: I do weigh my bags. I have been able to travel to many places around the world with a legitimate carry-on, not something check-in-sized. My roller alone for a 10-day intercontinental trip usually comes in at 25-30 lb, depending on the season. I think that is reasonable, definitely light enough to lift into an overhead bin. It is the COMBINED weight restriction that I do not find reasonable.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,961 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air France carry-on weight restrictions - say it isn't so!

What they are saying is the limit you can carry on to the plane yourself is 12kg. It has been that on most airlines since I started travelling in the 70s.

I am not sure where the confusion lies?

AF allows 2 bags, delta only 1

Approved Personal Carry-on Items

* 1 purse, briefcase, camera bag, or diaper bag;

* or 1 laptop computer (computers cannot be checked and must be carried on);

* or 1 item of a similar or smaller size to those listed above.

Additional Approved Carry-on Items

You may also carry on the following items, which do not count as personal items:

* A jacket or umbrella.

* Food or drink purchased after clearing the security checkpoint.

* Duty free merchandise.

* Special items like strollers, child restraint seats, or assistive devices such as wheelchairs or crutches.

Edited: 09 May 2011, 16:18
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air France carry-on weight restrictions - say it isn't so!

"It is the COMBINED weight restriction that I do not find reasonable."

You mean the usual 10kg carry-on, plus a purse or something small -- equalling 12kg in all?

I have seen less not more allowed on other carriers.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air France carry-on weight restrictions - say it isn't so!

US air carriers typically allow 44 lbs or 20kg for carry on luggage, this is United´s policy and they are the world´s biggest airline. 22" rollaboard suitcases are allowed within these weight limits.

If you do not like AF´s carry on policies, stick with US carriers.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,033 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Air France carry-on weight restrictions - say it isn't so!

Yes, European carriers have weight restrictions that US carriers don't. Lufthansa's limit, which I just looked up out of curiosity, is 8 kg for the carry-on, plus the purse. I haven't flown Air France in about 6 years, so again just checked their website, and they make the weight restriction very clear.

If they don't check your bag for weight, then fine, but I would pack with the assumption that they will and be prepared to check the bag if necessary. Whether you personally find the restriction reasonable or not is immaterial, I would be prepared to abide by it.