We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fast train to Nice

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Fast train to Nice

Travelling to Nice on 28 August with my daughter. Please advise which fast train service to book with. Is it best to pre-book tickets? Which class of travel?

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fast train to Nice

Book as early as possible up to 3 months ahead at www.tgv-europe.com

Check this "how to" from fellow Sydneyite and frequent TA poster sydneynick: www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

Do not try to book an iDTGV even if the fare is lower. Most non-European credit cards cannot be used to book these "special" trains. Book an "ordinary" TGV, of which there are many more. Advance purchase PREM'S fares start at €22 but these tickets are of the "no changes, no refunds" type.

The dedicated high speed line ends at Aix-en-Provence. For the last ~3 hours the train travels at normal speeds with frequent stops.

Second class is comfortable enough. First class will give you a bit more space as the seating is 2 + 1 rather than 2 + 2, and will allow you to book two individual seats facing each other with a "private" table between, not an option in second class. If the fare difference is small, which it often is, you might prefer first class.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fast train to Nice

Fast train is TGV that has to be booked in advance on the SNCF website (www.sncf.fr). 2nd class tickets are OK. The sooner you book the cheaper the price, you can book as early as 3 months in advance (get yourself ready, booking time is coming fast).

Cheapest tickets are PREM tickets (not refundable nor exchangeable)

Ride is about 6 to 6,5 hours (3 hrs or so to Marseille then it slows down on its way to Nice)

Sydney
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fast train to Nice

Thank you very much for your information, and the link. I have noted on the calendar!!!

Also planning to do the night fountains at Versailles on Saturday 27/9 and was wondering best way to get back to Paris OR as we are travelling by train to Nice on 28/9 maybe we could stay the night in Versailles (or close by), train back to Paris and then catch our train to Nice. What do you think of this arrangement???

Temple Terrace, Fl
Level Contributor
572 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fast train to Nice

My husband and I did this trip 5 years ago. Very relaxing and comfortable. We loved the experience. We were in the car with the quiet ambiance-very nice, no kids, no music, just peace and quiet.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fast train to Nice

I found that first class tickets were almost the same price as second when I booked our journey in 2008.So that was a no brainer. Take your own food and wine along... it's allowed and will be better than what's available on the train. Cheaper too.

If you can, get seats on the right side of the train... better views especially when you turn the corner and go along the coast. In addition to SydneyNick's useful page see also http://www.seat61.com

Level Contributor
215 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fast train to Nice

You should go ahead and book them now - for some reason TGV prems are available up to September 4 right now. I have been waiting to book some and received an email the other day advising this.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fast train to Nice

Booking is indeed already available for 28 August with some trains showing first class fares at €40, others with second class seats at €25. Book ASAP as there will likely be heavy demand for tickets for the last Sunday in August. Be sure that any credit card anti-fraud block on "foreign" purchases is lifted before you try to book.

Incidentally direct trains take about 5.5 hours to make the trip and do not go through Marseile.

Seattle
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fast train to Nice

I'm trying to book the same tickets. Anyone know what the difference is between the type of tickets offered ie, season excursion, etc?

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fast train to Nice

Ignore all those. Just input the number of passengers and, when prompted, their ages. When you see the page with the times and fares select the fare class you prefer. PREM'S fares (usually the cheapest unless you are travelling with children) are non-refundable and cannot be changed once booked. Other fare classes are more flexible in terms of refundability. Check the T&Cs for each fare class if that matters. If your travel plans are firm just book the least expensive tickets available.

10. Re: Fast train to Nice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2012, 05:41