We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fashion Myth Debunked

Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Fashion Myth Debunked

For anyone wondering what is being worn around the city, trust me when I say that you will see everything and anything. I worried for hrs about how to dress on my vacation to Paris last week. I quickly realized that unless shopping in high end boutiques or dining in four star restaurants....it's okay to wear whatever is comfortable, clean and neat.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Detaille
Gift & Speciality Shops
Christian Louboutin
Gift & Speciality Shops
Maison Verot
Gift & Speciality Shops
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fashion Myth Debunked

The voice of reason at last! I have been trying to convince people for years to no avail.

Just for the hell of it, I will throw in one of my hideous Paris fashion threads. Here is one from two years ago: anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

I have stopped doing them and am feeling much better.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fashion Myth Debunked

"I quickly realized that unless shopping in high end boutiques or dining in four star restaurants....it's okay to wear whatever is comfortable, clean and neat."

Even clean and neat are not a requirement as can easily be seen all over the place.

:-)

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fashion Myth Debunked

i came back from Paris last week with the same impression nancyb.

Like in any big city, sure some people are really fashionably turned out, but not everyone is. And everyone has a LIFE they're getting on with... they don't really care what others are wearing.

I even saw one man walking on the street with his apron on! Maybe he was in too much of a hurry to take it off after work.

:-)

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Kingston
Level Contributor
478 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fashion Myth Debunked

The questions about what to wear always make me laugh. People are worried about fitting in. Problem is, you will be visiting all the tourist sites, probably carrying a map and a camera, and speaking a different language. I doubt it will be the clothes that give you away!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fashion Myth Debunked

It's best to wear what you are comfortable in because that will make your experience more enjoyable. However, I am sure Parisians can spot a tourist by their clothes. I don't know if it matters, it's just what it is. I know in NYC I can easily tell who is a tourist and which tourist is American or European by their clothing. It's harder with Brits I admit, but the French, Italians and Spaniards definitely dress differently than a tourist from Kansas.

Edited: 27 May 2011, 02:39
Chicago
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fashion Myth Debunked

Kerouac,

Are you sure you weren't in Chicago when you took those pictures???

Melbourne
Level Contributor
286 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fashion Myth Debunked

Kerouac2 - Other than the fact that none of the people are wearing helmets on their push bikes - you could also be in Melbourne! Maybe not the 'dude' in red though - he looks more Sydney than Melbourne.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,601 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fashion Myth Debunked

Even in the high-end boutiques, you can wear whatever you want, they'll serve you.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
377 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fashion Myth Debunked

Can this be made a sticky to stop all the rediculous "What to wear" questions?

singapore
Level Contributor
394 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fashion Myth Debunked

get the idea from reading the posts. jus want to know the temperature in Paris (i will b there around 10-12 jun) and wonder if it would be hot or cold or cool. Do u think I would need a fleece jacket or a cotton one with a windbreaker is sufficient?

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France