We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing Louis Vuitton handbag in Paris or Singapore?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Purchasing Louis Vuitton handbag in Paris or Singapore?

Hi all, I am travelling to Singapore and Paris in September. Would purchasing a LV handbag be cheaper in Singapore than Paris?

cheers

Megan

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing Louis Vuitton handbag in Paris or Singapore?

Hi

It's cheaper in Paris. I have bought that for friends before.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing Louis Vuitton handbag in Paris or Singapore?

thank you for your reply.

I will look at getting a lovely new handbag in Paris!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing Louis Vuitton handbag in Paris or Singapore?

Why would it not be cheaper in the place where it's from? Go on Singapore's Louis Vuitton website and France's website and compare the prices. Happy Travels!

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing Louis Vuitton handbag in Paris or Singapore?

Better still....look for bags that aren't as well known outside France but are as good or better than LV.... So many people carry LV bags nowadays that it is fast becoming a joke..(unless of course it is a custom made bag..) .

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing Louis Vuitton handbag in Paris or Singapore?

Megabux: As one who has been buying LV, since 1980, I have been fine with my LV bags. And I have been really fine with the resale value that I have received when I have decided to sell some of them years down the road.

I just sold two Epi leather handbags last summer, as I wasn't using those particular ones much anymore. I had had them for years. For what I received for them, it was no joke to me. The only laugh was me laughing all the way to the bank. I made out quite well and have always made out quite well with the Vuitton items that I have sold.

There are other handbag designers and non-designer companies that don't do nearly as well when one might decide to sell years down the road.

About 7 years ago, I sold my first-bought LV bag, a Chantilly, cross body bag, that I bought at LV in Paris, the summer of 1980. It sold for at least double of what I had originally bought it for. It was in mint condition and still looked great. Excellent quality. I sold it to a colleague, who saw me carrying it one day, and had to have it.

A few months ago, I ran into the colleague while out shopping, and she commented that she still has my bag and that it still looks great. I recently saw one like it on www.malleries.com and also selling for a good sum.

So, remember when you get your new Vuitton, that if you take very good care of it, and then many years down the road possibly decide that you want something new and would like to sell it, you should make out quite well. Plus, it will become vintage and chances are you won't end up with a bag that you can't get rid of and end up having to just give away to someone. Happy Travels!

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,688 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchasing Louis Vuitton handbag in Paris or Singapore?

<<Why would it not be cheaper in the place where it's from?>>

I don't think that all LV bags are made in France. Aren't some made in Spain and some in the USA? Nothing wrong with that, but it's wrong to suggest that they all come from France.

Edited: 30 May 2011, 16:50
the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,212 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchasing Louis Vuitton handbag in Paris or Singapore?

Guenmai. I can't possibly tell you why, but Hermes watches are 20% cheaper in Singapour than Paris, so the question is no futile at all.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,013 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Purchasing Louis Vuitton handbag in Paris or Singapore?

LV bags are cheaper in Euope. Be sure to get the VAT back and understand the duty-free procedures. It's a good chunk of money.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,688 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Purchasing Louis Vuitton handbag in Paris or Singapore?

..you would also need to know what the import duty into your home country is to see if there is an overall saving.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Purchasing Louis Vuitton handbag in Paris or Singapore?

Brittraveler: I never suggested that they are all "made" from France. I'm aware that they aren't all "made" in France. I'm aware that they are made in different places. I remember back in the early 90s of talk of some being made right here in L.A. County. Now, whether that is true or not, I don't know.

Some have been made here in the U.S. for a long time. However, I was just wondering why they might be cheaper in someplace that they are not from as the "pricing" is probably determined in the place that the "company" is originally "from", not where the bag is "made". That's what I was getting at.

I personally haven't found LV, made in the U.S., to be cheaper than LV, made in Europe. I was at the Beverly Centerhere in L.A. last year, and walked by LV and looked in the window and there was a bag on display that had a visible, "Made in U.S." tag on it. Happy Travels!