We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meet-Up March 2-9?

Prescott, AZ
Level Contributor
199 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Meet-Up March 2-9?

Hello all. Just wondering if anyone was going to be in town from March 2-9 and wanted to meet up for coffee/drinks or lunch/dinner. I was also thinking it might be fun to head over to Caveau de la Huchette in the 5th. If anyone is interested, please post. Since I will be travelling solo, it will be a welcome change to have a few companions to enjoy Paris with. I'm open to suggestions regarding locations.

Happy travels everyone!

boston
Level Contributor
331 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meet-Up March 2-9?

Keep the topic open and maybe you can get a group together. We're two travelers probably quite a bit older than you but I will watch this spot for whatever plans develop. The thought of splitting the cost of lunch up in French does make me a bit nervous, however!

Prescott, AZ
Level Contributor
199 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meet-Up March 2-9?

Hi kathyw! Thanks for posting. Please do keep an eye on this thread...I'd love to meet some fellow travellers. I hadn't thought about the splitting of a lunch check however. I suppose it could present a bit of a problem, but that's all part of the fun right?! :)

Prescott, AZ
Level Contributor
199 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meet-Up March 2-9?

just bumping up....

boston
Level Contributor
331 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meet-Up March 2-9?

Perhaps the solution to splitting the check in a group is to have it be a cash-only type meal (everyone contributes their share in cash).

Paris
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Meet-Up March 2-9?

Oh cathyw, please don't tell me you are the kind of person who splits the check by itemizing everything she has eaten: "Sorry, my salade auvergnate was €1.50 less than your salade périgourdine; why should I pay for the wine I didn't drink?", etc. A simple - and more civilised - solution to language problems is just to split the check into so many guests, and that's it.

atlanta
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meet-Up March 2-9?

Well, darn. I will miss you, but I am actually working with another member here at TA to do the same on March 26. Funny, we are going to La Caveau de la Huchette after dinner!! I will be posting in the next day or so for anyone who is available at that time.

Best wishes for a great time during your stay, thatgirldina!

Prescott, AZ
Level Contributor
199 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meet-Up March 2-9?

Just bumping up. I'm hoping as the dates get closer that someone will see this post and want to meet up.

Just a little info on me: I'll be travelling solo to Paris from March 1-10 to celebrate my 34th birthday. Staying in the 6th at Hotel Jardin de L'Odeon. I'm planning on spending my days wondering the streets taking photos, visiting the haunts of the beat generation, finding antique markets, taking in alot of the usual "first-timer" sights (Eiffel Tower, Orsay, Notre Dame...). I don't really have a set itinerary, other than 2 Paris Walks tours. I do have a mile-long list of places to visit, but figure I will wake in the mornings and see where the day takes me.

waytogogirl, I loved reading all your recommendations for Caveau de la Huchette...in fact, it was your report that made me want to spend an evening there. I'm a lover of all things "swing" and am looking forward to cutting a rug in Paris! I swear, I was born in the wrong generation. It's a shame we will miss eachother by so few days. I would have loved to have met up with you.

Prescott, AZ
Level Contributor
199 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meet-Up March 2-9?

Sending this thread back to the top....

Lake Jackson, Texas
Level Contributor
234 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meet-Up March 2-9?

Hi there,

I'll be here and would be up for meeting (as I just moved here and have been exploring the city on my own thus far...making friends very slowly!). Caveau de la Huchette sounds good...

I'll watch this post for details!

Lake Jackson, Texas
Level Contributor
234 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meet-Up March 2-9?

Okay, so you asked (I think--in Cleo's thread) about artists' studios, and it just so happens that I saw the Place Emile-Goudeau just the other day. It's 13 rue Ravignan in Monmarte--Picasso, Gris, Modigliani, Jacob and Charpentier lived there at some stage, and 25 artists live there at the moment. Before I left the US, I bought a book called Frommer's Memorable Walks in Paris. It points out all of the sites that you'll like if you're like me and like to walk all over the place without necessarily making it into many buildings, but beware: the author has a tendancy to give crappy directions after you leave a building (as in, if you're looking at a map you would turn left, but since he told you to exit the building, you should turn right)--definitely bring a better map with you (I bring "Paris Pratique par arrondissement--l'indispensable" everywhere I go because it's in small book format and it's broken up into arrondissements, or half-arrondissements, in some cases)--oh, and the places the author suggests to stop for a break usually suck...I think he gets kickbacks or something.

Anyway, armed with the walking book and the map, I take the metro to the starting point of the tour and usually don't get farther than 5 minutes into it when I meet someone and spend the rest of the day either walking and talking with my new friend or we abandon the walk altogether for greener pastures (or cafes, for that matter). If you have a friendly look on your face and smile at strangers, people seem to recognize you immediately as a tourist (no offense, Parisiens) and want to chat (but perhaps that's because I'm a woman?)!