We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bracelet Scam Guys - Just the facts

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Bracelet Scam Guys - Just the facts

I've been debating with myself about posting this here because I know that it's a sensitive topic on TA. Most of the regulars on this forum, who are savvy travellers, already know about the bracelet scam and other scams in Paris and are tired of hearing about them. But then I remembered that I didn't know about it until after moving here 3 1/2 months ago. At that time, I was grateful to read the information about this scam on TA because I would rather be well-informed than not. So, after observing the bracelet scam guys in action, I wrote a blog post about them that is intended to be of help to first time visitors.

…blogspot.com/2011/06/bracelet-guys-near-sac…

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
944 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bracelet Scam Guys - Just the facts

Hi Sojoh...

Thx for posting this... I was actually quite curious to see how this worked. We had taken a cab to Sacre Couer, when we were in Paris last month. And our cab-driver perhaps misunderstood me, but he took us right to the top and we by-passed the base of the steps and funicular. I was quite glad to have avoided the bracelet guys, because we were with two small kids. But the former journalist in me still wanted to know what the whole thing was about. Your blog's a nice way to satisfy my curiosity from the safety of my home. :)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,063 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bracelet Scam Guys - Just the facts

Good writeup, Sojoh -- very matter of fact and honest.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bracelet Scam Guys - Just the facts

Sunshine - many thanks for your comment. I really didn't want to come across as a fearmonger.

Desi-Gal, I don't know if it's because we were there on a rainy Monday (holiday in France) evening, but I don't think that your family would have been approached by one of the bracelet guys. It was fascinating to see how they stood back and selected the people. During the short time that I watched them, they didn't go up to any families, only women and young couples. While watching them, I started thinking that they were professionals who knew how to pick the people who would yield the best results.

Mill Creek...
Level Contributor
211 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bracelet Scam Guys - Just the facts

Thank you for posting this. I have not heard about this and now will be looking out for it. I wonder how much the make people pay for them?

Newcastle
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bracelet Scam Guys - Just the facts

This is the exact guy I had a run in with in 2009, he turned rather nasty and Im glad you have highlighted the subject this way rather than everyone argueing that it happens in every big city,,, I check your blog everyday and think its a fantastic read great job :)

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bracelet Scam Guys - Just the facts

«It was fascinating to see how they stood back and selected the people.»

That was also my observation. I sat and watched them for more than an hour and they were clearly selecting a certain type of tourist. Usually young people, young couples or women, starry-eyed and often oblivious (caught up in the romantic beauty of Paris).

The best of the ring-schemers also know this particular demographic but lately, we can't help but laugh at the overwhelming number of amateurs. The ring scheme is past it's prime.

Very astute blogpost sojoh. Salut.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bracelet Scam Guys - Just the facts

"This is the exact guy I had a run in with in 2009" -- Who says that there isn't job security anymore? But seriously, that must mean that he's making a fairly decent living off of the bracelet scam.

I would have loved to have had an hour to watch them, Metromole, mainly because I was impressed with what skilled actors they are. They were really charming in the beginning and kept talking and smiling to reassure the young women that everything was alright. I still have to laugh about the only encounter that I've had with the ring scam. When I did what someone had suggested and took the ring from the woman and told her that it was mine and thanked her for finding it, the expression on her face was priceless because she didn't know what to do. It took her a few minutes to recover and then she asked for the ring back. When I smiled at her and gave her the ring, she knew that I was on to her trick and smiled back. It was actually a good exchange.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
122 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bracelet Scam Guys - Just the facts

As a single female traveller, these bracelet scammers really annoyed me yesterday at the Sacre cour. I was approched 5 times in a matter of 30 min. What really got me was that after repeatedly saying no, rather firmly, I was accused of being rude - honestly these men are the rude ones, bothering me while I was trying to enjoy the sight.

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bracelet Scam Guys - Just the facts

I was very glad to have read about the bracelet guys on Trip Advisor because I was in Paris last weekend with my two sisters and my mom. (My mom is particularly vulnerable to people offering her "blessings".) We knew exactly what to look for and, sure enough, there they were on the steps. I side-stepped them and kept walking. They were closer to my younger sister and when she firmly said no, one of them told her, "Don't be difficult, madame." Oh brother. We just laughed and considered it part of the Paris adventure.

Cedar Falls, Iowa
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bracelet Scam Guys - Just the facts

Is this mainly at Sacre Couer?