We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour De France on July 24th in Paris

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
58 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Tour De France on July 24th in Paris

I am going to Paris on business from July 21-24th. I didn't realize until recently that the Tour ends on the 24th in Paris. I always wanted to see part of it. Do you need tickets or can you go a few hours early and pick out a spot on the Champs to see riders? Does anyone have any great suggestions, like 2nd flr. restaurants with a view? Thanks.

-Joe

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,674 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour De France on July 24th in Paris

we did this a few years ago -- we just wandered over to the Champs and watched. you can go early an 'pick a spot' but you won't be able to hold it -- the crowds are huge -- not really a problem, you can shift to see as the riders come by.

The Champs is great as the riders pass by 16 times (with the cheese cars and other foofarah preceeding them) -- afterwards we wandered down to Concorde to watch the awards -- we were WAY back 50 or so in the crowd but could still see and hear -- and there are large jumbotrons here and there projecting the festivities as well.

It is great fun.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour De France on July 24th in Paris

I would not watch from the Champs, which is too crowded. The riders also circle the Tuileries, which means you can have a lovely picnic in the park long before the riders ever arrive (around 15:30-16:00 at the earliest). My favorite spot is the inner Tuileries-Seine corner, because there is the sharp turn into the Tuileries tunnel and also you are well above the road for a perfect view. Second best is the outer Tuileries-Seine corner, because you are outside the Tuileries (easy access over the top of the tunnel), but besides seeing the turn to go into the tunnel, you also have a long view of the peleton coming up the quai des Tuileries first.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
58 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour De France on July 24th in Paris

Thanks!!!

Belfast
Level Contributor
506 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour De France on July 24th in Paris

Kerouac2, are there screens up anywhere in the Tuileries to help you see the sprint finish?

California
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour De France on July 24th in Paris

Another question, Kerouac--by "inner Tuilleries-Seine corner", do you mean at the front corner of the Orangerie?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour De France on July 24th in Paris

There are no screens in that area. But it is not a big deal since the peleton comes through about every 5 minutes. Lots of people have radios tuned to the Tour, and the running commentary is quite exciting if you understand French.

Annette, no, the Orangerie is at place de la Concorde. The corner I'm talking about it next to the Louvre.

Edited: 22 June 2011, 23:06
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour De France on July 24th in Paris

"is" next to the Louvre.

The riders completely circle the Tuileries and use the tunnel to go from the Seine to the rue de Rivoli.

Surrey
Level Contributor
187 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour De France on July 24th in Paris

Hi I just saw this post...would you think this would be a good day not to be in the centre of Paris if you did not want to see the race. We are visiting 22-27th July...would this be a day to go to Versailles instead or would transport be really difficult because of the race?

Thanks

hampshire uk
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour De France on July 24th in Paris

i know a lot of the tour buses are cancelled on the 24TH as the champs elysees is closed down for the race. if you don't have any intrest in the race i would avoid the centre on sunday 24th.

Surrey
Level Contributor
187 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour De France on July 24th in Paris

Thanks, would we still be able to get transport out to Versailles that day? Is it a train ride away? Thanks