We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2.5 days in Paris - doable itinerary?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
13 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
2.5 days in Paris - doable itinerary?

My husband and I will be in Paris for almost 3 days during an upcoming trip to Europe. We'll be staying in the Latin Quarter, within walking distance of Notre Dame, and I wondered how the following itinerary looks (I know it's jam-packed, but is it achievable?):

Thursday 7 July (arrive 13h00) - Notre Dame, Saint-Chapelle, Pont Neuf , Ile St Louis (Berthillon ice-cream stop), Hotel des Invalides/ Napoleon’s tomb, Basilique du Sacre-Coeur, Centre Pompidou modern art museum (open til 11pm Thurs)

Day 2: Friday 8 July - Versailles (1/2 day)

Afternoon: Marais district: Place des Vosges for coffee, Rue des Rosiers for shopping, Jardin du Luxembourg

Day 3: Saturday 9 July - Place de la Concorde, Champs-Elysees, Arc de Triomphe, sunset cruise of Seine to E.Tower, Eiffel Tower

Leave Sunday 10 July

Is there anything we should switch around, or that makes more sense to pair together?

Also - what is the best and most reasonable way to get around in Paris? Is it possible and safe to travel home late at night (e.g. after visiting the Centre Pompidou) on the metro?

Any recommendations for decor/ design shops (not super expensive) in the Latin Quarter or near to any of the attractions we're visiting would be great!

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2.5 days in Paris - doable itinerary?

Your day 1 is too busy. I would leave out versailles and focus your energy on Paris.

You will be too rushed to see Versailles, and it really needs at least a day.

The best way to get around Paris is by metro and it is safe to travel on at night.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,034 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2.5 days in Paris - doable itinerary?

Highly unlikely you'd be able to get all that accomplished on Thursday. It's not always the best idea to plan a visit to an enormous museum at the end of the day, just because it's open late, as you'll likely be tired from being out and about all afternoon. Unless you actually want to visit Center Pompidou (versus fill up your schedule), recommend winding up the evening in Montmartre. Getting to your hotel, dropping your bags, followed by a visit to Notre Dame, then Saint-Chapelle, if busy (which they are almost always) will take you several hours or more. You may not get to Napoleon's Tomb by closing time. Personally, it's not worth going out of your way for Bertillon ice cream (which is available plenty of other places, along with other ice cream that is just as excellent).

While a visit to Chateau Versailles can be done in 1/2 day (if you mean by lunch time), that's rushing it. Most people, once there, stay through lunch, then an hour or two beyond. You could switch the Tour Eiffel and Seine cruise to that day, as they're both on your way "home".

Consider adding your Friday afternoon activites to Saturday. Still you'd have to prioritize as those are probably too many places to enjoy in one day without rushing around.

I think you're trying to pack too much into your few days. There's no mention of stopping for lunch or dinner...and, keep in mind that you have to either haul purchases around with you or make a trip to the hotel to drop them off.

Edited: 21 June 2011, 19:26
CA
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2.5 days in Paris - doable itinerary?

"Place de la Concorde, Champs-Elysees, Arc de Triomphe"

Start at the Arc. If you don't wish to walk all the way down the Champs-Elysees to Concorde, you can take the 73 city bus.

4. Re: 2.5 days in Paris - doable itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 21:16