We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Museum Pass

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta,Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Topic
Paris Museum Pass

As I understand it, the Paris Museum Pass not only gets you in to the 'attractions' but also eliminates the line-ups. Is this correct?

Only a few of the places we are going (Versailles, Louvre, Pantheon, Arc de Triomphe) are on Museum Pass and it will actually cost us a bit MORE to buy the Museum Pass (only a couple of dollars) but if it means that we can avoid line-ups, then the extra couple of dollars is worth it :)

Please advise, thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,730 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris Museum Pass

I think it's worth it. The lines, especially at the Louvre and the Musee d'Orsay (which you might decide you want to see) can be time-consuming and tiresome - definitely worth avoiding, especially in the summer and especially if your time is limited.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,746 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris Museum Pass

The big queue at the Louvre last week was in the main courtyard for security check, and the Pass will not let you skip that. If you enter from the underground Carousel shopping centre, there is not much of a queue for security. Buying a ticket was then just a matter of a half-minute at a ticket machine.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,154 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris Museum Pass

The only one of those places the museum pass would be useful is Chateau Versailles. You can order advance tickets online or pick them up at FNAC.

There are plenty of ways to acquire advance tickets to Musee d'Orsay should you decide to go there.

To my observation, "VIP access" and skipping lines with the Museum Pass is greatly exaggerated.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris Museum Pass

No, it's not really correct that you can "skip" all the lines and just walk right in. You might avoid the ticket line but you can't avoid the security line that everybody has to stand in.

In my recent trip to Versailles, the ticket line was short but the entry line snaked around so much it filled the courtyard, and people were grumbling that their pass didn't save them any time. I already had my ticket ahead of time from FNAC but still had to stand in the same line with everyone else (although we did the gardens first which has a separate entrance, and came back later when the line was shorter).

Otoh, I also had a ticket to St Chapelle (from going to the Conciergerie first, not from the pass) and that did save some time. There was a long line for tickets and we were waved into the "ticket holder" line which had zero people in it. It brought us to the front of the other line and we went through security immediately. I'm not sure how much time we saved, b/c we didn't have to stand in line, but the line was pretty long.

North Caroiina
Level Contributor
994 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris Museum Pass

We went to Versailles with the Paris Museum Pass and saw the incredible line in the front courtyard.

The good news: this line moves very quickly.

The bad news: those 375 people in front of you will be within 50 feet of you during the tour of the chateau.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris Museum Pass

I have to disagree with djkbooks.

We came back from Paris a few weeks ago and the lines were long everywhere. Our museum pass let us get by a near 30 minute wait at the Orangerie, a huge wait at the Louvre, and huge lines at the orsay, chateau versailles, and even at the arc de triumphe where the line was 30+ minutes.

People getting normal tickets were upset because even once they got their single use tickets, they still had to wait first for pass holders.

Another advantage of the museum pass is if you find yourself in a place or near a museum you can just pop in and see if you like it and if you don't you can leave. Or if you want to say only see Napoleon's Tomb and not the whole army museum, you can do just that.

We found ourselves in Paris planning a couple things a day... For example in one day we started at Notre Dame and at 9:30 there were 4 others in line (it opens at 10AM to climb to the top) and so we waited and climbed up using the museum pass. That was awesome as they let you into the bell tower too. Then we walked to the deportation memorial and then into the Marais to Victor Hugo's house. We had lunch and had plenty of time open so we went into the pompidou center for about an hour. The views from the top floor of the Pompidou center were absolutely amazing. Then we went back to our hotel before going out again to the Louvre for 3 hours as it was open later this day.

You may also be near the Rodin Museum (which doesn't take long) or the orangerie (which doesn't take long) and find you want to pop in for a half hour or hour. With the pass, you don't have to worry about paying admission. It has multiple value and to us, was totally worth it.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris Museum Pass

At the Orangerie, everyone goes through security first... but outside they make pass holders and non pass holders wait in separate lines. They always let pass holders go first and after 15 people or so the tiny entrance to security fills up and they stop letting people in until it goes down some more. Well, in the time that the line goes down more pass holders kept showing up in droves and the people without a pass had to keep waiting and waiting and waiting. By the time we got in, and saw the artwork downstairs and were going back upstairs to see the water lilies the non passholders were just getting in to purchase their tickets.

In my opinion, the pass has the value of 1. Letting you skip lines 2. unlimited admission (you can go back to the louvre on separate days if you want) and 3. You have more flexibility in choosing what you want to do and if you'd like to pop in to see just one thing and not feel guilty about paying full admission - you can.

Edited: 24 June 2011, 15:45
North Caroiina
Level Contributor
994 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris Museum Pass

I just got back from Paris three days ago. We purchased a six day Museum Pass and VTJedi's recall pretty much sums up our experience. The Pass clearly helped us out with the following:

1. Went to d'Orsay Thursday PM (their late night) and saw an ugly line to get in even at 8 PM. We went to a back entrance ("C") and walked right in.

2. We wanted to pop into the Orangerie just to see the Monet Water Lilly paintings. There were two lines --- one with several dozen people and one with zero for us. They lifted the little rope and let us right in . . . it was like the bouncer letting us into the club.

3. We spent a short amount of time at the Conciergerie. I did not think it was that special and was happy that, with the pass, it was a bonus. I would have been bummed to have paid separate admission for it. Ditto for the archeological crypt -- it was okay to see it because it was included on the pass.

4. Tough to even scratch the surface of the Louvre in a day and tough to stay a whole day even if you really love art. We solved that by using the pass to go there three times on three different days.

5. Arts et Metiers museum proved to be an unexpected surprise and my son wanted to go back two days later despite spending two hours there during the first visit. We also doubled up on the Pantheon.

6. I agree that the Pass does NOT help much at Versailles. It is, plain and simple, a mosh pit.

7. My one deviation from VTJedi's experience is that I believe the early AM lines for the Notre Dame Towers tour is getting longer. We arrived at 15-20 minutes before opening and there were already 100+ people in line. The wait was 55 minutes after it opened so a total wait of about 70-75 minutes for us.

Overall, we used our six day pass at least 20 times. The $$ savings is self-evident but it also bought us time and reduced hassles. This option is not for everyone, but if you anticipate seeing attractions that will pretty much meet the cost (35 E for two days/ 50E for 4/65E for 6) it is clearly the way to go.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris Museum Pass

We also used a 6-day museum pass at the beginning of our 10-day visit to Paris, and another side benefit was that it kept us on track; I decided that if we just used the pass just once per day, it would be worth the cost. (I knew the line-skipping would be worth it, since we were going to the Orsay and Orangerie. We also went to Versailles -- nothing would help there except a limit on the number of people allowed in the chateau!)

We used the pass one day for St Chappelle while on our way back to the apartment. That day, they were making everyone stand in the same security line, so we had to stand in line, but we went! And it was awesome.

On the last pass day, we used it for the Pompidou, where we had not previously visited. I'm not sure we would have gone but for the pass and, while it was interesting, we did not feel the need to stay very long, so I'm glad we had the pass.

Without the pass, I probably would have said "oh, we'll do that next week' and either tried to cram too many things into our last two days, or not gone some places at all. (We never did get to the Louvre this trip, and that's okay.)

It was so much fun to BE in Paris that we could have just enjoyed the city for 10 days, but I'm really glad we took a little time to see St Chappelle and the Pompidou.

Edited: 24 June 2011, 18:03
10. Re: Paris Museum Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 19:16