We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Louvre-Chatelet or St Germain area?

London, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Louvre-Chatelet or St Germain area?

Choosing between the 2 areas now & just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on each's pros & cons

So sorry -- I misposted again on France forum, as I was using the mobile app earlier. :s Will avoid creating new threads on my phone from now on!

Thanks in advance

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Louvre-Chatelet or St Germain area?

No choice. St. Germain. I dislike the Chatelet area, and rarely go near there when I'm in Paris. It's congested (I mean REALLY congested) with teenagers hanging about at all hours of the day and night. Not threatening, I just don't like the atmosphere they create.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Louvre-Chatelet or St Germain area?

St. Germain

London, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Louvre-Chatelet or St Germain area?

We were eyeing Rue St Honore in Louvre area. Is this too commercial? In St. Germain area, we're looking at area behind Pont du Carrousel.. wana be near Seine so easier to just cross over

North Caroiina
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Louvre-Chatelet or St Germain area?

Have stayed in both areas.

I would go with St. Germain.

You can get to the Louvre quite quickly by Pont du Carrousel. As a bonus, you can use the speedy Porte des Lions entrance (which is hardly used). With this trick, you might be in the Louvre looking at the art faster than you would be if you stayed at Rue St. Honore and used the more conventional entrances.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Louvre-Chatelet or St Germain area?

Louvre-Châtelet is much better, because it gives you instant walking access to the Marais, the Palais Royal area and the Grands Boulevards. Fantastic selection of reasonable restauants in all of those areas. Saint Germain is just good for watching wrinkled matrons with freeze-dried blue hair looking at kinky shoes in the high end shop windows.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,223 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Louvre-Chatelet or St Germain area?

What are you referring to as the St Germain area? Pont du Carrousel has nothing to do with St Germain area, so I am confused . . .

Rue St Honore is a long street--how near the Louvre"/commercial area" are you talking about? The Chatelet area that HappyGoin refers to as "congested with teenagers" is not the Louvre area.

I think that in order to allow anyone's advice/recommendations to help you out, you need to get specific about the lodging you're considering here for comparison. Give an address (or at least intersection) of apartment or hotel. if you've confused your areas, or if we are all commenting on different parts of larger and very diverse areas (Louvre-Chatelet), then you aren't receiving any real help.

Maybe you're getting inaccurate descriptions (St Germain behind Pont du Carrousel?) from an apartment website or a booking agency that exaggerates "prime" locations.

At any rate, in this case you really need to be specific.

London, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Louvre-Chatelet or St Germain area?

Oh sorry :) Here are the links of the 2 locations:

myparisvisit.com/rental-studio-apartment-lou…

friendlyrentals.com/en/…

Still torn between the 2. :(

miami beach
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Louvre-Chatelet or St Germain area?

I think you've chosen area's that aren't exactly heart of either place, but similar, and either would probaly do and you won't be sorry. If the St Germain place is priced the same as the other, I'd go with it. Yes, pictures aren't always truthful, but it looks lighter, brighter and spacious. Let us know what you go with, and share about the experience when you get back, Oh, and have a great time-no matter where you end up it is after all Paris!

9. Re: Louvre-Chatelet or St Germain area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 22:18