We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When does the off peak tourist season begin in Paris?

Boston...
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
When does the off peak tourist season begin in Paris?

We were planning on visiting Paris next May. We have decided to change plans after reading many of the trip reports that described the throngs of tourists at the main tourist attractions during May. Our preference is to tour during non peak times. We are now thinking of either going Mid-September or mid-October. Would the number of tourists be appreciably fewer during those times? Thank you.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,029 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When does the off peak tourist season begin in Paris?

September through mid October is still busy,, in fact,, many people are just like you, going in Sept -Oct to avoid crowds.. if you really want off season, I suggest late November or Jan-March.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
378 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When does the off peak tourist season begin in Paris?

Joan is completely right. Late November and Around the 2nd-3rd week in December before Christmas. It is a good time to getlower rates at top international hotels as the expense sccount travellers who usually use them are not travelling so close to the holidays.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When does the off peak tourist season begin in Paris?

We've chosen to visit Paris mid-late September six times for the splendid weather and lack of crowds at the popular places and restaurants and it has worked out very well each time.

We've also visited Paris in June and May - and never experienced "throngs" of tourists. But, it is definitely much less crowded in September in our experience.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,709 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When does the off peak tourist season begin in Paris?

we have been to Paris in May half a dozen times -- never found crowds a problem

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,065 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When does the off peak tourist season begin in Paris?

There were definitely throngs of tourist tbis June. May is slighhtly better, with most European weekenders leaving the city peaceful mid-week.

There is no such thing as lack of crowds mid-september, because for all the families who go home as school starts, there is the flood of year abroad kids and all the grandparent/singles/young couples who have the luxury of escaping the summer months (which, for hotel rates, are not necessarily high season). Finally you've got all of us locals, thrilled to be home and running our favorite restaurants that we've missed and checking out the new expos at museums as "the season" begins.

Nov, Jan and Feb are the quiet months, but the weather is nasty and nightfall comes earlu, making for a more difficult visit in other ways.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When does the off peak tourist season begin in Paris?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

We went to Paris for the very first time last year....We went in early March and there were really not all that many people - we did use the Museum Pass, which let us zip past most lines - but still - the main thing seemed to be that there were large school groups - especially from Italy - all over Paris.

Other than that though, not a ton of people

We are going back on Sept. 15th this year and will be there until the end of the month - hopefully not only will it be warmer (soo cold last year!)...but maybe the crowds won't be too bad either - but we are definitely doing the Museum Pass thing again, so I'm sure that will help also.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When does the off peak tourist season begin in Paris?

I go to Paris all times of the year.

We go to Paris end September beginning of October most years for the Prix d'arc de Triomphe races and it is always busy. Difficult to book accommodation at the last minute.

This particular week is Paris fashion week, motor show and other trade fairs.

January is always quiet. March and April are not so bad. Early May was very busy, maybe due to school holidays.

On my recent visit 4th to 8th June, I remarked how uncrowded Paris was. I think a lot centres around French school holidays and possibly British/US ones as well.

I would go again first week of June. There were hardly any queues at the Eiffel tower, maybe 15 minutes. There were however a lot of school parties. around.

Denise

love from England

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When does the off peak tourist season begin in Paris?

I'm here now. What crowds? The only time I have had to queue to get into an exhibition was on the day when it was 37 degrees and the "ladies who lunch" were at the Jacquemart-Andre museum for the Caillebotte Brothers exhibition and lunch.There wasn't any airconditioning in either place. I'm staying right in the thick of things in Montmartre. I like a bit of warmth (25 deg most days) and it's still light at 10 p.m. I think later this month and August might be a bit hard to bear with the number of tourists.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,065 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When does the off peak tourist season begin in Paris?

What crowds, Dale? Today it was like rush hoir on the line one at three in the afternoon because of a convention of curators going to the Louvre. Three times this week I've had a hard time getting a taxi and I wasn't able to get a table at on of my favorite restaus this Sat, even though they almost always have a table at 23h. There was line at the Eiffel tower as early as 8am on Fri.

This is Paris as crowded as she gets. Miserable

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When does the off peak tourist season begin in Paris?

Hi phread. I guess the difference is that I'm on holidays and if a metro train is crowded, I have the luxury of waiting for the next one - or the one after that. I don't ever need taxis, but they do seem to be few and far between. (I arrived on Gay Pride day and wanted to go from Gare De Lyon to Montmartre - I made it via Outer Mongolia and the Left Bank!!! My late husband and I did the same thing about 10 years ago - same day.) Also, being an LOL (Little Old Lady), I would love to be awake to have dinner anywhere at 2300. Having said that, I'm leaving on Wednesday and taking my case to the left luggage at CDG at about 1000. I will leave it there and go back about 1800 to get my flight home. Should I phone for a taxi the previous day? Or on the morning - seeing that I'm not in a hurry? Also, do you have a favourite taxi phone number please?

Edited: 04 July 2011, 19:09